Gifting iPhone, what do I tell my carrier?

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
I'm going to give my iPhone to my GF, do I have to go to AT&T and switch the iPhone data plan from my line to hers? Also, if she syncs the iPhone to her iTunes library, what's going to happen? Thanks in advance :)

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I'm going to give my iPhone to my GF, do I have to go to AT&T and switch the iPhone data plan from my line to hers? Also, if she syncs the iPhone to her iTunes library, what's going to happen? Thanks in advance :)
You will need to make the switch on the data plan. As far as the sync, it would probably be best to restore as a new phone and start fresh. She can then put the music,contacts.ect. on that she wants

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
You will need to make the switch on the data plan. As far as the sync, it would probably be best to restore as a new phone and start fresh. She can then put the music,contacts.ect. on that she wants
Kk, thanks d :laugh2:

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
Oh, just remembered another question, will her SIM card work fine with the iPhone?

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Why? I thought you loved your iPhone, man?

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Her sim card will work as long as it's an AT&T one. If not, she'll need to buy a Gevey-3G chip or any other 3G chips around. That's if you are talking about an iPhone 3G. As for the old iPhone, you can easily unlock it for her and she could use any sim card she wants on it.

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
Her sim card will work as long as it's an AT&T one. If not, she'll need to buy a Gevey-3G chip or any other 3G chips around. That's if you are talking about an iPhone 3G. As for the old iPhone, you can easily unlock it for her and she could use any sim card she wants on it.
It's an AT&T sim card, but it's not a 3G one (I have the iPhone 3G) :sick:

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
It's an AT&T sim card, but it's not a 3G one (I have the iPhone 3G) :sick:
ATT can supply one, might even do it for free.;)
It's late and I may not be thinking straight, but why can't you use the existing sim in the 3G?

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
ATT can supply one, might even do it for free.;)
It's late and I may not be thinking straight, but why can't you use the existing sim in the 3G?
Oh, they will if you go to the right store ;)

I dunno, because its not a 3G sim? Is there even a difference?

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Oh, they will if you go to the right store ;)

I dunno, because its not a 3G sim? Is there even a difference?
It must be an old SIM if it is not 3G. All the ATT sim cards have been 3G for quite a while. I think if you are transferring her line, they will give you a new sim for free. My husband lost his phone a while ago and I gave him my BB pearl to use and they gave us a new sim. No problems. I asked if there was a charge, and they said "nope." I was like "awesome."

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
No, I mean why can't she use your sim that is in your 3G?:)
I dunno, lol
It must be an old SIM if it is not 3G. All the ATT sim cards have been 3G for quite a while. I think if you are transferring her line, they will give you a new sim for free. My husband lost his phone a while ago and I gave him my BB pearl to use and they gave us a new sim. No problems. I asked if there was a charge, and they said "nope." I was like "awesome."
I think it is 3G, but I'm not sure. Sounds good, if its not 3G, I'll just go get a new one then.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Yeah, ATT will fix you up the best way. As Lisa said, most likely they will not charge you for a new sim if that is what you need.