Girlfriend problem.

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
Hey guys. Way off topic here.

I love my girlfriend to pieces. I have been with her around 2 years. She is great and we get along well. My problem is she refuses to grow up and get a job. She is 18 now and it's really taking its toll on me and my pay packet. What should I do?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
18 is a pretty young age to 'grow up' at. I think it took me until around 35 or so, and even then some friends might dispute whether I was all the way there. :)

So I may not be your best outlet here.

Do you guys live together? Share expenses and such? If not, then I'm not sure why it's a big concern anyway.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah, if you're living together, she needs to get her act together. If not, just stop spoiling her. There are cheap ways to date.

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
18 is a pretty young age to 'grow up' at. I think it took me until around 35 or so, and even then some friends might dispute whether I was all the way there. :)

So I may not be your best outlet here.

Do you guys live together? Share expenses and such? If not, then I'm not sure why it's a big concern anyway.
Because at the age of 20 I have a career. I want us to move in together and go on holidays and such but we can't all the time she refuses to get a job.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Don't you think she should know about this post and perhaps share her thoughts? I mean what you're discussing here is way personal. I know we're all like a family and discuss almost everything together, but as they say, "there are two sides to a story" and it would be nice to hear hers.

Dec 10, 2009
Clarksburg, WV
Perhaps a few vacations without her might get her interested in supporting herself....:D

Have u discussed this with her?
Just sitting down and letting her know why could help.
As long as u don't come at her like a parent, telling her she HAS to get a job, but that you want to take it to the next level, sharing a space together and new adventures.
Don't make her feel like she has to have a career, but that it would be in the best interest of taking the relationship to that next level if she could see the benefit of being employed...

jcmitchell5

Contributor
Silver
Feb 19, 2010
Arkansas
Take your time growing up. You only get one life to have your fun. If she isn't ready to get serious then I wouldn't push it. She is just now old enough to make her own decisions, so let her figure things out without trying to hold her hand along the way. I rushed into living with a girl and it was just a lesson learned. I lost some years of good times because of it. I'm not saying to break up or leave her be. I am just saying to allow her to enjoy being young and you do the same.

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
I don't know her but 18 is extremely young. 20 is also very young. There's plenty of time to get serious and life isn't something you should rush. At the end of the day this is something you should discuss w/her and a forum may not be the best medium I'm afraid.

Good luck to you!

(L)

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Arizona
The problem is she's 18 barely and adult. I rushed and moved in with a girl at the age of 18 and it was a disaster. You should really take the time and grow together I understand that you want her to get a job to not help you but herself but at the age of 18 you're stubborn as a mule and you're going todo your own thing anyway. Maybe she isn't ready to be that serious just yet I mean she was 16 when you started dating her she's probably still used to you taking care of her.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using iCafe

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
My wife and I waited 10+ years to get married and then waited 9 years to have a child. We are by far the happiest people that I know. Take of this what you will...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Or, you know... talk to her. How much of this have you discussed with her?