Giving Wife Current iPhone Once 3G Comes Out...

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Hello everyone... It seems like 3G is right around the corner and I've agreed to give my wife my current iPhone when I get the new one. Well, I shouldn't say agreed, more like I'm forcing my current iPhone on her to justify buying the new one. I keep bragging to her all of the features she could use but she continually says she doesn't care about all of that. I take pics of our babies and email them right to her, that's the one thing she says she will use. I've even started showing her how to use it from making calls to emails but she still doesn't seem to care. I think she is being stubborn because I'm buying yet another electronic gadget. Anyway, I digress...

My question is, should I restore the iPhone to normal for her, or leave it jailbroken? She isn't tech savvy at all so she wouldn't care about the jailbreaking but I would hate to not have access to some of the apps that I already have on the phone. But if I leave it jailbroken, then Ill probably be maintaining both of our phones, I guess that isn't a big deal when I think about it. I really don't think she would take advantage of it, like spending time of these forums looking for apps that interest her. Anyway, anyone else in a similar situation?

chcorey52

Silver
Dec 25, 2007
Ya i wish i had a reason to get a new one......to bad thts not gonna happen

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
Hmm, I'd probably restore it for her if she doesn't care to play with apps - just to make it as stable as possible since it sounds like she just wants a phone an not too much more. Your call. :)

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Hmm, I'd probably restore it for her if she doesn't care to play with apps - just to make it as stable as possible since it sounds like she just wants a phone an not too much more. Your call. :)
Buffy to the rescue! Do you have any apps loaded that intertest you as a lady? I know its a silly question but maybe I can teach her how to use the Installer app and all that good stuff.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Also, anyone have any recommendations on a case or holster I can get for her? I might have to get her 2, one for everyday use and one for the gym. But she has mentioned she doesn't like those arm band ones. I might just give her my Innocase for working out though.

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
My wife doesn't really use much more than the normal apps that come with a locked iPhone, but she has been amazed with the new app that plays video as a background. Right now she has 1.1.4 jailbroken with vWallpaper and Summerboard. She is using the Clear Candy icons (white and see-through) and a video wallpaper of our 19-month old daughter running from me through the house. She thinks that is the most amazing thing, and loves to have it on her desk when she is between patients.

Since she loves the pics of the kids, why not try putting a video wallpaper of them having fun, and some see-through icons and see what she thinks!

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
My wife doesn't really use much more than the normal apps that come with a locked iPhone, but she has been amazed with the new app that plays video as a background. Right now she has 1.1.4 jailbroken with vWallpaper and Summerboard. She is using the Clear Candy icons (white and see-through) and a video wallpaper of our 19-month old daughter running from me through the house. She thinks that is the most amazing thing, and loves to have it on her desk when she is between patients.

Since she loves the pics of the kids, why not try putting a video wallpaper of them having fun, and some see-through icons and see what she thinks!
That is a great idea jslappa! One question though, did you take the video with the iPhone or did you take it with a camcorder and upload it to the phone?
I wanted to do something like that but it seamed like vWallpaper wasn't very stable and I didn't really understand how to get my own videos on there.

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
You can take any mp4 video you already have in your iTunes video folder. I made the video with my Nokia N95. It records in MP4 so i just SSH'd it right into the iPhone. I would imagine you could take video with the iPhone, but that 2 mpxl camera won't do the iPhone's screen justice. Also, think about if you want the sound to play, becasue you may want to edit the sound out.

There is another format you can use, but it slips my mind.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
You can take any mp4 video you already have in your iTunes video folder. I made the video with my Nokia N95. It records in MP4 so i just SSH'd it right into the iPhone. I would imagine you could take video with the iPhone, but that 2 mpxl camera won't do the iPhone's screen justice. Also, think about if you want the sound to play, becasue you may want to edit the sound out.

There is another format you can use, but it slips my mind.

Thank you jslappa. Now I got something to work on!

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
Do you have any apps loaded that intertest you as a lady? I know its a silly question but maybe I can teach her how to use the Installer app and all that good stuff.
You know, as much as I love my JB phone, I usually try out apps and end up deleting them. I like to change my themes and customize my phone more than anything. The only apps I use faithfully are iFlickr, which allows me to upload my pics directly to my Flickr account; PhotoDial, which allows me to speed dial from a picture; iSolitaire, which passes time in long lines, and I'm just getting acquainted with Twinkle/Twitter, which your wife probably would have not interest in if she doesn't enjoy tinkering with her phone. :)

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
Also, anyone have any recommendations on a case or holster I can get for her? I might have to get her 2, one for everyday use and one for the gym. But she has mentioned she doesn't like those arm band ones. I might just give her my Innocase for working out though.
The only ones I've tried are CaseMate, Artwizz, and Innocase. Innocase is by far my favorite. CaseMate added a lot of bulk to the phone, but that did help with texting and emailing for me. Artwizz was pretty, but a bit rough around the edges, and I didn't like the way the plastic case was so loud when on vibrate. You already know the pros and cons of Innocase. If your wife likes "pretty" things, I've heard that people really like their Vaja cases, and she can choose her own colors, etc.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Im pretty sure she will be the same way with customizing the phone, Im sure she will want to change the wallpaper and have nice icons so she can see pictures of our babies.

Buffy, do you have a case on yours or do you prefer it to be naked? (that sounds kinky)

Edit: I was typing this out as you were responding about the cases. What timing!

umbrabellator

Bronze
Jan 3, 2008
Hello everyone... It seems like 3G is right around the corner and I've agreed to give my wife my current iPhone when I get the new one. Well, I shouldn't say agreed, more like I'm forcing my current iPhone on her to justify buying the new one. I keep bragging to her all of the features she could use but she continually says she doesn't care about all of that. I take pics of our babies and email them right to her, that's the one thing she says she will use. I've even started showing her how to use it from making calls to emails but she still doesn't seem to care. I think she is being stubborn because I'm buying yet another electronic gadget. Anyway, I digress...

My question is, should I restore the iPhone to normal for her, or leave it jailbroken? She isn't tech savvy at all so she wouldn't care about the jailbreaking but I would hate to not have access to some of the apps that I already have on the phone. But if I leave it jailbroken, then Ill probably be maintaining both of our phones, I guess that isn't a big deal when I think about it. I really don't think she would take advantage of it, like spending time of these forums looking for apps that interest her. Anyway, anyone else in a similar situation?
You're a brave old wizard, Merlin.

If I were you, I'd buy her a new one, and then, maybe, she'd be willing to allow you to buy a new one for yourself.

But, that's just me. I come from the "yes, dear" school of thinking. ;)

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
You're a brave old wizard, Merlin.
LOL, thank God you didn't referrence the Muffler Shop!

If I were you, I'd buy her a new one, and then, maybe, she'd be willing to allow you to buy a new one for yourself.

But, that's just me. I come from the "yes, dear" school of thinking. ;)
I follow that same school. I actually offered to buy her the new one and she said hell no! She isn't excited about me spending the extra cash right now anyway, even though Ive had it stashed away for about 5 months.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I have not jb my iPhone (still chicken), but I can give you case advise. I use my iPhone naked, but keep it in a Beyza slim leather slip case in my purse. I do not like it to be bulky when I use it.

I was thinking of getting a Vaja, but with iPhone 2 around the corner..

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I have not jb my iPhone (still chicken), but I can give you case advise. I use my iPhone naked, but keep it in a Beyza slim leather slip case in my purse. I do not like it to be bulky when I use it.

I was thinking of getting a Vaja, but with iPhone 2 around the corner..
Hey there Koko!

I was thinking about a slip case or pouch but doesn't it get cumbersome removing it from the slip to answer a call?

Im starting to think she wont want the Vaja anyway, she is usually a bargain shopper, if she knew the Vaja was $100 for a phone case she would freak. Ill have to check out the slip case but then she doesn't have any options for working out with it.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Hey there Koko!

I was thinking about a slip case or pouch but doesn't it get cumbersome removing it from the slip to answer a call?

Im starting to think she wont want the Vaja anyway, she is usually a bargain shopper, if she knew the Vaja was $100 for a phone case she would freak. Ill have to check out the slip case but then she doesn't have any options for working out with it.
At work, I keep my phone in a little beanbag bed, called an iPlop. I think it was made for an iPod. Because of that, I do not worry about removing it from the case at work. It is a little cumbersome to remove it from the case when it rings, and I have to be really careful to not drop it. I just have not found a case that I like enough to have it encapsulate the phone all the time. I bought an iSee Contour for a vacation, but have not used it since. It was way too bulky.

My leather Beyza slip case is really nice. It is slightly padded, but not too much. I have used my Coach leather cleaner on it a couple times since it gets a little scratched up in my purse. I ordered mine online from the Beyza website, but there are other sites that sell them. They come in many colors. Beyza also makes other styles of cases. The leather quality is very high compared to the leather cases that you get in a store.

For working out, I use my shuffle. I paid $79 for my shuffle, but they are only $49 (or $59?) now. You could get her a slip case and a shuffle for less than a Vaja case. :p I really prefer to use a lighter music machine for working out, and I do not feel so bad about sweating all over a shuffle vs my iPhone.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
At work, I keep my phone in a little beanbag bed, called an iPlop. I think it was made for an iPod. Because of that, I do not worry about removing it from the case at work. It is a little cumbersome to remove it from the case when it rings, and I have to be really careful to not drop it. I just have not found a case that I like enough to have it encapsulate the phone all the time. I bought an iSee Contour for a vacation, but have not used it since. It was way too bulky.

My leather Beyza slip case is really nice. It is slightly padded, but not too much. I have used my Coach leather cleaner on it a couple times since it gets a little scratched up in my purse. I ordered mine online from the Beyza website, but there are other sites that sell them. They come in many colors. Beyza also makes other styles of cases. The leather quality is very high compared to the leather cases that you get in a store.

For working out, I use my shuffle. I paid $79 for my shuffle, but they are only $49 (or $59?) now. You could get her a slip case and a shuffle for less than a Vaja case. :p I really prefer to use a lighter music machine for working out, and I do not feel so bad about sweating all over a shuffle vs my iPhone.

Good info, thanks!
Actually, she already has an iPod mini but Ive been pushing the iPhone on her so much simply because it can replace all her devices. She doesn't like a lot of bulk either (lucky me :p) so maybe I will suggest just using the mini to work out with.
Personally, I love working out with my iPhone. The iPhone has got to be the best iPod there is! I love the interface.