Giving wife V1 Question

iPhreak

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
Did a search but came up with a bunch of nothing. Sorry if this has been covered, I promise I tried.

Has anyone gone upgraded the V1 to a 3g for 299 and transfered the V1 to someone else (wife) on the family plan? If so, did the V1 transfer make the wife sign a new 2 year deal as well? I would not think that AT&T would make her do it but who knows with this. I am wanting to give her my V1 and so she can upgrade from the Razr.

Thanks

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
i don't think the contract is renewed but you can find out easy enough, just plug the V1 iPhone into iTunes and start setting up the accounts, it should tell you at some point the length of the contract if any

Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, Ca
Did a search but came up with a bunch of nothing. Sorry if this has been covered, I promise I tried.

Has anyone gone upgraded the V1 to a 3g for 299 and transfered the V1 to someone else (wife) on the family plan? If so, did the V1 transfer make the wife sign a new 2 year deal as well? I would not think that AT&T would make her do it but who knows with this. I am wanting to give her my V1 and so she can upgrade from the Razr.

Thanks
Yes, I did this exact thing and it locked her into a new 2yr agreement. :oops:

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
No need to unlock it.

I took my wife's sim out of her POS Samsung, put it in the (locked) V1, and connected to iTunes. In 5 minutes, it was done. It did say that her contract would be extended for 2 years, but since I had just extended mine (buying the 3G), I paid it no mind.

No need to unlock it.

I took my wife's sim out of her POS Samsung, put it in the (locked) V1, and connected to iTunes. In 5 minutes, it was done. It did say that her contract would be extended for 2 years, but since I had just extended mine (buying the 3G), I paid it no mind.
well my mom didn't want another two years so thats the reason why I unlocked It which took no more than five minutes and no two year agreement

Jul 4, 2007
What about data plan? I was thinking about the same thing. But I need to pay another $30 per month in order for her to use the phone. She never use the email and internet on the phone... so I am thinking I need to unlock it.

No need to unlock it.

iPhreak

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
that's why you unlock the v1 and just stick in her old sim... That's what I did... I gave my v1 unlocked to my mom and it works fine
She can use data as well? My V1 is locked, and I will just keep it if she cannot use my V1 as a iPhone should be used. I have no issue unlocking it, but I would like for her to be able to use the iPhone as intended :).

She has a text plan on her Razr is that going to allow her to use safari or will we have to get her a data plan through AT&T?

Thanks, I am quite clueless when it comes to how AT&T will work there way into my pocket.

Sep 29, 2007
Yes I have done it, you will need a new sim card for the iPhone V1 and you will have to reactivate it at home with iTunes

She can use data as well? My V1 is locked, and I will just keep it if she cannot use my V1 as a iPhone should be used. I have no issue unlocking it, but I would like for her to be able to use the iPhone as intended :).

She has a text plan on her Razr is that going to allow her to use safari or will we have to get her a data plan through AT&T?

Thanks, I am quite clueless when it comes to how AT&T will work there way into my pocket.
If she has a txt plan that will transfer over to the iPhone if u unlock it... My mom has the unlimited data plan for 15 bc she has a bj2 and she uses that with the iPhone...