Glitch in apple software? - Apple Store app

Discussion in 'iPhone 6S' started by jareknyc, Sep 11, 2015.

1. jareknyc

jareknyc Member
    Silver

I am eligible for 2 year contract on AT&T site and also by dialing *new# I know it's there I know I can use it on AT&T site...When I try to check this on apple app it will only give me att next 12 24 month option, after I put my social number and zip code...very strange...did they forgot about 2 year contract this year? They are focus on AT&T next and Apple lease crap?

What's going on in here ?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Please post a screenshot. It should say this:

Congratulations! This line is eligible for an AT&T NEXT installment plan upgrade. Or upgrade with a 2-year service agreement. Upgrade fees may apply. For Mobile Share Value Plan customers, the $15/$25 discounts are not available with an upgrade to a new 2-year wireless agreement.

3. jareknyc

jareknyc Member
    Silver

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1441998465.009157.jpg
    Yeap got that on AT&T and on Apple Store app only 12 18 or 24 available

4. jareknyc

jareknyc Member
    Silver

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1441998547.415762.jpg ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1441998555.366314.jpg

Here is my Apple Store

5. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I think what the OP is asking is why doesn't the Apple Store app show the subsidized pricing options? Instead, it only shows the pricing options for the Next plan. I was wondering this too, but I'm going with Next. If I did want to go with a new 2 year contract and subsidized pricing, would I be able to pre order through Apple?

6. jareknyc

jareknyc Member
    Silver

Very strange I never had this before...

7. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

This is interesting. According to this article, AT&T is only subsidizing iPhone for new customers, but existing subscribers have to pay full price or sign up for a Next plan.

"AT&T is still offering subsidized smartphone pricing for new customers, so most people shouldn’t have to pay more than $200 for the base, 16GB model.

Existing subscribers have the option of paying full price or singing up for AT&T’s Next plan..."

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/iphone-6s-buying-guide/

If confirmed, this could be big news for some folks.

EDIT: Apparently this information is not accurate and AT&T still offers subsidized pricing on 2 year contracts for existing customers.

#7 Kadelic, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  8. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

More information/confirmation here. http://9to5mac.com/2015/06/01/apple-stores-drop-att-iphone-subsidies-this-month-as-verizon-changes-coming/

Except this states that subsidies have been done away with completely, even for new customers.

"Apple today has informed employees of significant changes to how iPhones are sold via AT&T and Verizon Wireless, according to sources. As we reported last month, Apple has indicated that iPhones sold via AT&T at both physical Apple Retail Stores and on the Apple Online Store will move exclusively to Next financing plans this month, in June. This means that a customer who wants to buy a new iPhone on AT&T will no longer be able to do so on a subsidy…

The AT&T Next program allows customers to purchase an iPhone and pay for the price of the hardware over a several month period (20, 24, or 30 installments) and upgrade to new hardware earlier than before (after 12, 18, or 24 installments). While this change is occurring for standard iPhone purchases, we are told that two year subsidies through AT&T will remain for business purchases through Apple. Customers transitioning to Next will be able to keep unlimited data plans."

So you have to buy outright or use Next if you order through Apple.

#8 Kadelic, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You have to order through AT&T if you want to do a two-year contract.

10. Pac73

Pac73 Member
    Bronze

At&t only allows the two year contract pricing through them now.

11. dapurplenurple

Bronze

So I bought my 6P outright at an Apple Store. It's apparently unlocked and the Congratulations you're unlocked message appears whenever I reinstall the firmware. If I buy it outright again through Apple online, will it be unlocked also?

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The ones they sold on Apple.com on previous years on launch day were locked even if you paid full cost. The carrier would unlock it for you immediately, though. If you got them a month or so after launch from Apple, they were unlocked. I'm not sure about this, but they will probably have unlocked iPhones available at full cost this year since they have unlocked phones available right away for their payment program.

13. dapurplenurple

Bronze

Ahhh... Forgot to mention I picked it up in January. So, that explains why it's unlocked. Thx