Global "Location Services" toggle is annoying

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Ok, I know I'm late to the party, but I'm loving 2.1... there's just one minor annoyance that I can't believe I've not seen anyone bring up yet regarding 2.x:

In order to use Google Maps, you need to keep location services on. But with this option on, you have to engage a dialog every time you launch the camera before you can take a picture! Who thought that one up? There are lots of ways to fix this, but I hope they implement one of them soon.... because when I want to take a picture, I don't want to have to wait any longer than I already do! But having to turn on location services for the only program I'll actually use it is a MAJOR PAIN.

Anyway, I'll deal. Just had to vent.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
they just want to give us a sense of privacy.

not really workin for me... oh well, my whole life is in their "cloud" anyhow...

KevJD

Bronze
Aug 30, 2008
Ok, I know I'm late to the party, but I'm loving 2.1... there's just one minor annoyance that I can't believe I've not seen anyone bring up yet regarding 2.x:

In order to use Google Maps, you need to keep location services on. But with this option on, you have to engage a dialog every time you launch the camera before you can take a picture! Who thought that one up? There are lots of ways to fix this, but I hope they implement one of them soon.... because when I want to take a picture, I don't want to have to wait any longer than I already do! But having to turn on location services for the only program I'll actually use it is a MAJOR PAIN.

Anyway, I'll deal. Just had to vent.
Uh, as long as you KEEP Location Services switched ON, the camera should only popup that dialog box once. Once you enter YES to allow it to use your current location, it should not ask you again. At least, that is how my phone functions. All that aside, you must be easily annoyed...as having to touch a little box on a touchscreen once everytime you startup the camera app doesn't seem like such a big deal. ;)

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Uh, as long as you KEEP Location Services switched ON, the camera should only popup that dialog box once. Once you enter YES to allow it to use your current location, it should not ask you again. At least, that is how my phone functions. ;)
This is interesting. Can others verify this?

All that aside, you must be easily annoyed...as having to touch a little box on a touchscreen once everytime you startup the camera app doesn't seem like such a big deal. ;)
I hear ya. Normally it wouldn't bother me, except with a camera app. Photo opportunities disappear in a heartbeat, and the amount of time it takes for that on-screen shutter to open is long enough as it is. A popup in the way just adds insult to injury. Yeah, I cope... but I'd rather not have to, ya know?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I optioned to allow for location services the one time and have not been prompted to approve them again. I assumed it was because the iPhone just remembered my preference and didn't need to ask again. I am with you Dave though. The camera app takes long enough to load on its own sometimes, I don't need to wait longer to select yes or no.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Hmmm wonder why mine is so persistent in checking?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Are you pushing yes every time Dave? Even so, I would think it would stop asking after the first few tries. It's probably because you're still on a v1...

Maybe try a reset of all settings and then run the camera again?

LionOfTheSouthUK

Bronze
Jul 23, 2008
haven't used the camera since the update. Just tried it. First two times I opened the app it asked to use my current location. Since then it hasn't asked again , and that includes a restart of the phone as well .