Gmail acts like it's not configured in Mail

gadgetgal

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
I have the Gmail app downloaded and I really like it. It's quite handy in fact. My work just switched to Google Apps for Business so I am testing it on that, and it's great-sends me a visual and audible alert as e-mail comes in which is great, especially when I'm out of the office but still need to be aware of things. So now more than ever I need a reliable Gmail mechanism. The IMAP mail is working for my personal Gmail now-I can't use IMAP for work anyway. Work e-mail is on the Gmail interface but it's not an @gmail.com address-it's the businesss' e-mail. Calendar is also via Google Calendar and it's actually helpful and easy too-readily accessible from any computer I use; no fancy configuring or annoying web log in for Outlook Express. It's all web-based, same functionality, auto population of e-mail addresses, etc, so I actually really like it. Anyhow-the Gmail app is great, but it does only work with one Gmail address.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
Suddenly, this morning, the original IMAP configuration is again working as if nothing was ever wrong. Curiouser and curiouser!

YMMV

Any impatience you show will only create more stress.

gadgetgal

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Yeah--it's a miracle. right?
I hope mine will stay intact for my personal e-mail. And actually, now that it is IMAP, it doesn't have a calendar "on" setting so that I can make my personal Google calendar my default one, but actually, I had already started adding personal appointments to my Hotmail calendar and it has caught up, and now my Siri dictation appointments go to Hotmail, and then my Google calendar work appointments which are added manually anyway also are integrated into my native calendar, so the plain iPhone calendar allows me to have both work and personal displayed together. Adequate calendar but missing the week view I like. Nonetheless, I discovered a very reasonably priced calendar app called Week Calendar ($1.99 as of this writing) that does the same exact thing but with so much better view and display options, and what's more, I didn't have to DO A THING. It configured directly from my iPhone calendar native app without me needing to sign in to anything all over again! It auto configured! I had been using another Google Calendar app which is a great app, but it only allows log in to one Google calendar at a time, so I had been using both it and my native calendar app anyway which was kind of annoying. Now I have Week Calendar that allows every calendar I want but with much better display options. I could have the two Google calendars on there if I wanted to, but now that I've converted to Hotmail for my personal one, I'll leave it.

gadgetgal

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Since the Gmail App for iPhone is in this thread, question: how does one stay signed in?
I was wondering why I wasn't getting notifcations when I accessed my e-mail later, and I was no longer signed in, which is irritating. I switched my work mail to that app due to concerns about the built in Mail app failing on me as evidenced by the topic of this thread I started.
Anyone?