Gmail and iPhone - how to NOT sync fully?

crash41

Dec 12, 2008
I like my non-gmail accounts b/c i get the emails and can read/delete/etc and it won't affect the email on my computer.

When I read/delete my gmail emails - they are read/deleted on my computer.

So basically i do NOT want my gmail fully synced. Is that possible?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
So basically i do NOT want my gmail fully synced. Is that possible?
I think so. Just disable IMAP support in Gmail's settings on their website, then set up your iPhone to access Gmail using POP3 (you will have to set this up manually, not using the Gmail template that comes with the phone)

crash41

Dec 12, 2008
I think so. Just disable IMAP support in Gmail's settings on their website, then set up your iPhone to access Gmail using POP3 (you will have to set this up manually, not using the Gmail template that comes with the phone)
THANK YOU! That does the trick!

usanaples

Dec 18, 2008
Wait a second...

Its funny you say that because I would like to be able to delete the messages, because if I don't it seems they keep coming back until I delete them on my computer. If I read it on my iPhone (3g) and delete it, I want it deleted from gmail to...but it doesn't... how do I get it do do that?

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Its funny you say that because I would like to be able to delete the messages, because if I don't it seems they keep coming back until I delete them on my computer. If I read it on my iPhone (3g) and delete it, I want it deleted from gmail to...but it doesn't... how do I get it do do that?
You need to go into Gmail settings and enable IMAP (Interactive Mail Access Protocol). You also need to erase your current Gmail settings on your iPhone then set up the new iPhone Gmail settings provided to you in Gmail settings for IMAP. The tutorial walks you through step by step how to set up Gmail IMAP on your iPhone...Mark

usanaples

Dec 18, 2008
Thank you for the prompt reply. Does having both POP and Imap enabled screw this up? I use the Pop for Apple Mail, and the imap for the iPhone...

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
thats how i am. i rather delete once and get'er done.