Gmail and Ymail

ventrj

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
Does anyone know if you can get gmail to use push like ymail does?

Jul 25, 2008
No matter how many times this question is asked...the answer is still no.

Sorry boss, I'd like to have push too but it just isn't happening right now.

iconone

Zealot
Gold
Apr 8, 2008
Clear Lake Texas
Yes it should. I have heard that gmail pushes faster than yahoo. I use 2 yahoo emails on my 3g and most of the time it dosent push like they say it does i have to go and refresh my mail to get them.

ventrj

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
Sorry boss, I'd like to have push too but it just isn't happening right now.[/QUOTE]

Did not see this posted any where else just thought i would ask?

Jul 25, 2008
Yes it should. I have heard that gmail pushes faster than yahoo. I use 2 yahoo emails on my 3g and most of the time it dosent push like they say it does i have to go and refresh my mail to get them.
From what I've read gmail doesn't use push, but you can set fetch times.

Yahoo does though, which means it will get the email as the system gets it, not based on any time interval like fetch.

Sorry if I came off harsh, didn't mean to...just see a lot of the same questions being asked which could be remedied if people just used the search button more.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I currently only have my mobile me pushed to my iPhone. I noticed dramatic improvement in battery life when I took off my hourly fetched gmail account. I now just have a shortcut to the web version of gmail "which is nicely formatted for iPhone." I actually find that I like it better, and get the huge benefit of increased battery life.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
well sometimes the search is difficult to use. For example it only finds the thread where the search string is located and not the actual post. Sometime you just don't have time to read a 20 page thread.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Okay, I will give you an example.
One time I saw a iPhone pics thread, I knew that someone had commented about it being "batman" and that it was when the picture of the truck flipped over on its back. Someone got a picture of it while they were filming it in "Chicago" I wanted to try and find that picture after I saw the movie but I did not feel like sifting through over 2000 posts.
This is what came up. Ironically I my posts comes up as well ask the question about a better way to search.

Here are my results. Can you please find the posts I am talking about all tangled up in 2488 posts?

The search needs a little bit more functionality. I sometimes use google and it has put me to the direct post in a thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
For my gmail account I have a text msg sent to my phone that tells me I have an email. It's pretty much sent to my phone as soon as the email is sent.

ventrj

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
So gmail is fetch
Ymail is push
mobileme push
hotmail ? fetch or push
and are there any others that are push?

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
So gmail is fetch
Ymail is push
mobileme push
hotmail ? fetch or push
You can use some third party companies to set up a virtual exchange network for you, in that case you could have another email account pushed to the phone.

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
here's a dumb question. Why not just use ymail?

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I don't like Ymail because of the advertisements sent on the bottom of every message you send. That's just me.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Did I mention that I wasn't very comfortable with Google scanning my emails with Gmail either? ... @me is my current favorite.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Did I mention that I wasn't very comfortable with Google scanning my emails with Gmail either? ... @me is my current favorite.
I was aware of that and it is something to think about in the future, but not yet for me.
Does Apple scan @me email accounts?

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
So gmail is fetch
Ymail is push
mobileme push
hotmail ? fetch or push
Hotmail is splat. :p
You have to pay Microsoft for the ability to use another program like Outlook or the iPhone e-mail client.

As Mr. Miyagi said: "Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk middle, sooner or later... get squish just like grape."

So basically Hotmail users get squish like grape. :p