Gmail cannot send mail

twallyf

Bronze
Oct 20, 2007
I just got the 3G and have Gmail set up. I can get messages, but when I try to send mail it give me an error saying:

The user name or password for SMTP: @SMTP.gmail.com is incorrect.

Like I said, I can get my email, so I don't get why it won't send them. Anyone know any fixes?

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I just got the 3G and have Gmail set up. I can get messages, but when I try to send mail it give me an error saying:

The user name or password for SMTP:tim.falkiewicz@SMTP.gmail.com is incorrect.

Like I said, I can get my email, so I don't get why it won't send them. Anyone know any fixes?
One of my gmail accounts would not send mail after a restore. I deleted the gmail account and set it back up. If you want the IMAP to work correctly, do not set it up as a GMAIL account, set it up as other and follow the directions on the gmail site.

When I deleted my email account and put it back in, it started sending mail again.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I also set mine up per Google's instructions with both my v1 and 3G iPhones and Gmail has been issue-free for me.

twallyf

Bronze
Oct 20, 2007
You guys are good. I deleted it and now it works!

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
You know, my gmail account I use the most cannot send mail again. I have not tried deleting the account again yet.

I did backup the other night-I wonder if that is what is screwing up the settings?

twallyf

Bronze
Oct 20, 2007
Fix

You might want to check the gmail help page. Sometimes you need to do a cleanup. I have problems getting mail on it from time to time depending on my connection.

TaySharpe

Mar 9, 2009
Canada
Cannot connect to outgoing SMTP server

Hi gang,

I'm having the same issue. I can send with Gmail from iPhone when I'm on Wi-Fi, but not when I'm on 3G. (I'm using IMAP and yes, I've got it enabled in Gmail settings)

I've restored to factory settigns, I've deleted the mailbox and reinitialized it (many times, both using the Gmail button, and the 'Other' option when settign up a new mailbox).

I've also tried this link on this other dude's post on my iPhone which is supposed to unlock it in some way so your outgoing SMTP works again:
http://www.madebymark.com/madebymark/2008/09/iphone-imap-and.html

It didn't work for me. :oops: But apparently has worked for some.

Please help!

Tay

NuMystic

Aug 12, 2009
Replying to this old thread because it came up first in my google search for this issue.

I was having the same problem... tried all the other solutions floating around without success. (the captcha page, resetting password, and deleting then re-entering the account on the iPhone)

Finally on a whim, I deleted the account from my phone and this time ignored Gmail's instructions to use the "Other" option rather than "Gmail" on the iPhone's new account screen. Voila! It's sending email just fine now.

So in this case, it looks like Apple's "it just works" configuration trumps the official DIY approach endorsed by the Google Gods. Hope this works for you too!

TaySharpe

Mar 9, 2009
Canada
Gmail is now working for me

Replying to this old thread because it came up first in my google search for this issue.

I was having the same problem... tried all the other solutions floating around without success. (the captcha page, resetting password, and deleting then re-entering the account on the iPhone)

Finally on a whim, I deleted the account from my phone and this time ignored Gmail's instructions to use the "Other" option rather than "Gmail" on the iPhone's new account screen. Voila! It's sending email just fine now.

So in this case, it looks like Apple's "it just works" configuration trumps the official DIY approach endorsed by the Google Gods. Hope this works for you too!

Hey,

Yeah, after a while I think gmail and Rogers figured it out and the automatic gmail account set up feature was fixed and is Noe the best way to ge your gmail on the iPhone.

Cheers,

ts