Gmail/Contact/Calendar Help

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by ednygma, Sep 21, 2012.

1. ednygma

ednygma Contributor
    Bronze

Okay, I am waving the white flag and asking for some help here. I have been trying unsuccessfuly to setup my google email/contacts/calendar all day to have them integrate with my i5. I had to install the gmail app to get my gmail to work on the phone but I am hoping someone smarter than me can tell me what I am doing wrong please.

I keep getting the 'cannot get mail...the user name or password for "gmail" is incorrect' when I have changed it to ensure I am using the correct password.

Any insight on what I need to do or is this simply not possible anymore?

2. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

Can you login to Gmail successfuly on a desktop browser?

3. ednygma

ednygma Contributor
    Bronze

yes, I have no issues on a desktop. It is only on my new iPhone5

4. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

Hmmm. And you're definitely entering your full username and password, identical to those used on the desktop?

5. ednygma

ednygma Contributor
    Bronze

Yes. When I use the Gmail App it works fine but when I try to go through settings and setup Gmail and my contacts/calendar it will not. Quite frustrating.

6. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I have issues with yahoo so does my son

7. Phreddyl

Phreddyl Member
    Bronze

Have you tried to set gmail up as an exchange account? That syncs calendars and contacts stored in gmail too.

8. Phreddyl

Phreddyl Member
    Bronze

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Pac73

Pac73 Member
    Bronze

I'm also having issues with AT&T mail asking for password over and over on iPhone5.

10. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

This is definitely how you need to do GMail in order for it to work properly.

11. ednygma

ednygma Contributor
    Bronze

Thanks for the help above. Something still is not working and I am about ready to pull my hair out. I did not have this problem with my previous iPhone so I am wondering if ios6 has something to do with this conflict. I have deleted all reference to gmail on the phone, logged in on my laptop and changed my password again, then tried the above only to have it say my password is incorrect. And yes, I am making sure I am using the new password on both devices...laptop and iPhone. Have to go to daughter's game so this will have to wait until later.

12. Pac73

Pac73 Member
    Bronze

I finally got my AT&T mail to work, I went to other during email setup put my AT&T info in and it verified. Hope this helps someone.

13. ednygma

ednygma Contributor
    Bronze

I finally got my gmail/contacts/calendar working. The problem, in case anyone else encounters this, had to do with the two step verification process if you have that set up with google. I had to go online and specifically add the device first to get a long string of code to enter the first time you connect. After that it was smooth sailing. I should have figured that out a lot earlier but was relying on my previous experience from my 3g and overlooking the fact that both environments were much different today then they were a few years ago.

14. Michmeister

Michmeister Member
    Bronze

I had to set up gmail as exchange account also. Works perfect