Gmail goes IMAP

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
Thanks for the info. I don't even have the Forwarding and POP/IMAP in my Gmail settings. It only says Forwarding/POP. May be they haven't yet updated with all Gmail accounts.

colombianito

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
the option to enable imap on one of my gmail accounts is not there...? it is on one of them but no the other ? how come ? bummer, ill wait i guess..lol

thanks for the info guys !

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
I have to believe that Google is rolling out IMAP chronologically. This means that if you created your account in the last yr or so, then you might have to wait for a while. Just cross you fingers.

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
With IMAP, since the iPhone/computer act as "readers" of your mail...when you delete them from Outlook does it also take them out of the inbox up at Google?

Sorry for the lame question...I just don't seem to quite grasp what IMAP does.
You might want to check this post.

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/gmail-now-with-imap.13579/

IMAP is a push email (as Yahoo on iPhone), whenever you receive an email you don't have to get connected and retrieve, it just pops up right away. If you delete the mail from your iPhone it as well gets deleted from Gmail.

Last edited by a moderator:

voldak

Sep 24, 2007
You might want to check this post.

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/gmail-now-with-imap.13579/

IMAP is a push email (as Yahoo on iPhone), whenever you receive an email you don't have to get connected and retrieve, it just pops up right away. If you delete the mail from your iPhone it as well gets deleted from Gmail.

IMAP and Push-IMAP (P-IMAP) are two different protocols. IMAP isn't necessarily Push-IMAP. I hope to God that google goes the P-IMAP way soon.

Also, to what someone said earlier they are rolling out IMAP randomly. I've had my account since early 2004 and I still don't have IMAP, but my wife's account (2006) does. Just try to be patient (i know it's frickin hard) :laugh2:

This is definitely good news indeed though. I'm excited.

Last edited by a moderator:

cdd543

Oct 1, 2007
IMAP and Push-IMAP (P-IMAP) are two different protocols. IMAP isn't necessarily Push-IMAP. I hope to God that google goes the P-IMAP way soon.

Also, to what someone said earlier they are rolling out IMAP randomly. I've had my account since early 2004 and I still don't have IMAP, but my wife's account (2006) does. Just try to be patient (i know it's frickin hard) :laugh2:

Yeah I have had mine for a long time and I don't have it yet either.

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW

What do you say about the Yahoo mail on iPhone? Push or not?

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I have to believe that Google is rolling out IMAP chronologically. This means that if you created your account in the last yr or so, then you might have to wait for a while. Just cross you fingers.
It's got to be something more than Chronologically. I got gmail 3 years ago and I don't have the option.

I'm holding my breath. Come on Google! You don't want any casualties here, do you?

voldak

Sep 24, 2007
What do you say about the Yahoo mail on iPhone? Push or not?

Yahoo has a push option. It's under Settings > Mail > Yahoo Account > Advanced. You can turn push mail off and on in there. By default it is on (i think), so it would be push...however you can turn it off. So, it can be either P-IMAP or IMAP.

voldak

Sep 24, 2007
It's got to be something more than Chronologically. I got gmail 3 years ago and I don't have the option.

I'm holding my breath. Come on Google! You don't want any casualties here, do you?

I bet they are doing it on a "per server" basis. It makes more sense that way. They are more than likely upgrading one server at a time, that's why it'll be a while. Just hope your server is next. :)