Gmail Headache

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Gurk33

Jul 20, 2007
I know this has been talked about many times, but I still haven't found a way to make it work:

I'm referring to the problem where there are always 50 new emails, and it keeps downloading my old emails.

I have tried everything I could find while searching for an answer:

1) I enabled pop in Gmail settings, and used "Enable POP only for mail that arrives from now on"

2) I chose "Use Recent Mode" in the advanced settings of my Gmail on the iPhone.

3) I have deleted the account from the iPhone and set it up again (several times).

No matter what I do, I always have 50 new emails, and it says 500-something more at the bottom. When I tried it a different way, it said I had about 2 billion. I'm happier with the 500-something, but I want 0! I just want new emails from now on, and I can't seem to figure it out. Has anyone had this same problem and finally discovered a work-around.

It might have something to do with the fact that when I initially set Gmail up on my iPhone I hadn't selected the "Enable POP only for mail that arrives from now on" option in my Gmail. Now that it is selected, it doesn't seem to revert, even when I re-do the account on the iPhone.

I'd like to figure this one out first before I move on to the re-receiving sent emails problem. That can wait for now.

If anyone can help me solve this, I'll love you and bake you cookies. :p

Gurk33

Jul 20, 2007
I went ahead and painstakingly deleted all of the 500-something emails and everything seems to be OK now. Huzah!

Jul 19, 2007
I went ahead and painstakingly deleted all of the 500-something emails and everything seems to be OK now. Huzah!
the problem is in the use recent mode... recent mode downloads the last 30 days worth of email even if another client has downloaded them

I have recent mode turned off on my phone so I don't get the replies that i send through gmail..
I enable recent mode on my mac (log in as recent:username@gmail.com) so that my mac always gets my mail even if the iPhone has downloaded them

so far everything has been working nicely, but it was a pain to get to that point