Gmail, Hotmail, iCloud (ME.com) or Yahoo. Pick one...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ivantwilliams, Feb 8, 2012.

1. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

I'm trying to drum up a great conversation here.

Currently we seem to have four major providers when it comes to email, whether paid or free.

Whether you're an iOS device user or not, which email provider do you think is the best: (in no particular order)

Gmail
    Hotmail
    iCloud (ME.com)
    Yahoo

Here's looking forward to an interesting conversation and banter. :D

2. IceCold357

IceCold357 Contributor
    Silver

Well for me right now, me.com(iCloud) is the best since it's the only one that pushes with any consistency. I have gmail with doesn't push and I have AKO Exchange (Army) which pushes about 75% of the time. I think Im slowly going to start using my me.com(iCloud)as my primary email.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

3. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Dude, I think you talk about email more than any other person I've met online. You and I have discussed this at length several times in the past, so you probably have my setup memorized by now (manual Gmail fetching with app notification). It works well for my needs.

You must get a lot of email!. ;)

4. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

Psylichon, you're right. I guess it is the Exchange server geek in me ;)

As a matter of fact, I don't get that much email, but I'm always interested at the email services that people use, and why they do...

5. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

I have Gmail, but use a 3rd party (Push for Gmail) app for new mail notifications, because it saves battery and can be setup for "quiet times" so I am not awakened by a notification at 3AM (like I used to be)

6. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

I have them all. One for work, one for spam, one personal and I just don't give out the me.com one. But I have it if need it.

Target

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iCafe app

7. RUcollegeBoy

RUcollegeBoy New Member

I've been using hotmail for years. I've had my account for as long as I can remember and haven't had any problems. My messages always push through to my iPhone.

I also use gmail for my school email - I like the extras that comes with that. Such as the documents, etc.

I also have an old aol account, but only log in to that once in a blue moon. Mostly just junk there now.

My work email is hosted through godaddy - that's the only one I've had issues with not all messages making it from the server to my iPhone. *le shrug*

Oh and I do have the iCloud (me.com) account but haven't gotten into using the email yet.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

8. macscac

macscac Member
    Bronze

hawk, how are you setting up your gmail 'quiet times' ?
    that would be great to silence my emails from like 1am to 6am

9. psylichon

psylichon Genius

I also have a Yahoo account that I use almost exclusively for Facebook notifications because I find them much more reliable than the Facebook app's notifications.

10. PinkBanana

PinkBanana Zealot
    Gold

That's why I like to switch me phone to silent before I go to bed. Never been woken by a notification whether it be a message/email/etc.

11. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/push-for-gmail/id343029704?mt=8
    There is the link for the app I use
    PinkBanana, Turning my phone on silent creates a risk of missing my alarms, so I don't do that. Plus, if there is an emergency where work or family needs to reach me during the night, having the phone on silent means I will miss the call. Quiet periods just work better.

12. psylichon

psylichon Genius

I also don't like to silence my phone at night since I don't have a backup landline for emergencies. However, it should be noted that alarms will ring through even with the silent switch engaged.

13. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

I use yahoo as my main account and it uses push just fine, always get a little ding whenever an email arrives. And I have a personal gmail account that I set up for more professional communications but I don't use it much and it doesn't have push enabled since I used the gmail set up and not exchange. I also have a school gmail apps account that I check frequently and do not have push set up on that one either.

14. Dingster1

Dingster1 New Member

Gmail (main)

Aol (spam)

Hotmail (spam)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. Mi-Phone

Mi-Phone Member
    Bronze

The push for gmail app, can you add multiple gmail accounts or does it automatically push them when using mail.app as the email client? I have a total of three gmail accounts.

16. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

It can only be set to one account, but you can have it set to open the native mail app and if you have your other gmail accounts setup there, then you get all your mail every time you open it.
    I also forward my second gmail account to my main one, so I get notified either way.

17. K.J

K.J New Member

Gmail, manual fetch works great for me.
    Hotmail works ok, kinda spotty, sometimes read mails come up as unread on next open

18. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

I've been a Mac user for a looooong time and my main email address has been a mac.com address. I found that even when using BlackBerrys my mac.com email was pushed instantly to my device. I have Hotmail for spam/online purchases and a GMail account just to have one. :)

19. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

rambo47, curious, do you use Contacts and Calendar for your MAC account, too? If so, and you happen to be using a BlackBerry, do those items sync, too?