GMAIL How do i stop getting a cc of every message?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I personally don't like using Recent Mode. I don't FULLY understand what it is doing and there is something about "recent" emails I think I may want....

Go into your actual Gmail account online and create a Filter that basically says if the "From Address" is the Gmail address you are logged into then delete, send to trash or whatever you want to do with it..

Basically, you don't want email from yourself to yourself....

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
I personally don't like using Recent Mode. I don't FULLY understand what it is doing and there is something about "recent" emails I think I may want....

Go into your actual Gmail account online and create a Filter that basically says if the "From Address" is the Gmail address you are logged into then delete, send to trash or whatever you want to do with it..

Basically, you don't want email from yourself to yourself....

yes, recent mode is only useful if you are using multiple clients to pop your gmail account. That's why I said to turn if OFF :) Recent mode allows more than one client to pop the email from gmail and not have it confused. Baiscally recent mode will download the most recent messages from gmail, which includes the ones you've sent. It's a bug GMail knows about and has been working to fix. But now with IMAP it's basically a non issues, because you should most definitely use GMail IMAP over pop.

But that's ok, give Dawgfan the credit for the fix :)

pciphone

Dec 11, 2007
Ok I will just use IMAP I thought make things easy.

But now the issue is I have 6,000 messages in my email box and it wants to download them all.

Is there a way to setup to only download new messages?

yes, recent mode is only useful if you are using multiple clients to pop your gmail account. That's why I said to turn if OFF :) Recent mode allows more than one client to pop the email from gmail and not have it confused. Baiscally recent mode will download the most recent messages from gmail, which includes the ones you've sent. It's a bug GMail knows about and has been working to fix. But now with IMAP it's basically a non issues, because you should most definitely use GMail IMAP over pop.

But that's ok, give Dawgfan the credit for the fix :)

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I am using Gmail through IMAP and I don't get a cc to myself.
I was wondering if the Filter "fix" was necessary if using IMAP. I already had the filter in place prior to moving to IMAP so I did not know.. no reason to remove the filter really...

On the 6,000 messages...wow... I would probably do some Gmail email account maintenance prior to downloading....

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
It won't download them all. It will simply download enough to make the capacity you set in the "Show" section of Settings->Mail. It will always show that many of the most recent messages. So if you delete one, it will pull down and old one to always keep you with that many messages. So you can adjust that number accordingly.

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
I was wondering if the Filter "fix" was necessary if using IMAP. I already had the filter in place prior to moving to IMAP so I did not know.. no reason to remove the filter really...

On the 6,000 messages...wow... I would probably do some Gmail email account maintenance prior to downloading....
I don't think you need the filter when using IMAP for Gmail (I may be wrong). I am sure I don't have one on my account. Try removing the filter and check if you receive the CC to yourself.