GMail, iCloud Outlook or Yahoo

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
So, erm, in conjunction with using iOS, what would you say is the best email domain to use:

GMail -
iCloud -
Outlook.com -
Yahoo -

Go...

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe Forums

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
...wait, are some of you scared to comment? :)

Adriano73

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 17, 2012
UK
Ok then. Gmail for me. I don't know why.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
...touche' @napoleon-phoneapart

I use gmail but I have enabled push by forwarding all mail to my iCloud account and leaving a copy in my Gmail archive. I read the messages in my iCloud account, and when I reply it is configured to send using my Gmail SMTP server. This forces outgoing messages to be sent from my Gmail account and address (it changes the address automatically).

Rick - Pardon my driving, I'm not texting, I'm reloading

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
If GMail offered true sync (like it used to), and real delete vs archive, I'd be happy...

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I use Gmail and my dot Mac account through iCloud. My primary account for work stuff is Gmail, so that's where I spend most of my time.

If GMail offered true sync (like it used to), and real delete vs archive, I'd be happy...
Gmail in iOS can delete messages, rather than archive. I too was never happy with the archive only option. I have it set up that swipe left reveals delete option.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You can change it from archive to delete. The option has been there since they switched to archive by default a few years ago, but the method for switching it isn't very intuitive or easy to find.

Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Gmail > Account > Advanced > Switch from Archived Mailbox to Deleted Mailbox > Account > Done

Be sure not to forget the last two steps. It doesn't retain the setting if you don't hit done.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
4 Gmail, 1 Outlook, 1 Comcast, 1 iCloud. The busiest are the Gmail.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
Hmm all rather tempting to go back to GMail. Albeit, I like Outlook.com and I pay to not have ads. I suppose another option would be to reopen my Google Apps account. Decisions, decisions...

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
Not bumping; merely commenting...

Now that I'm back on iOS, I might try GMail again. On BlackBerry it was an issue to get it to delete emails properly. I hated things going to Trash...

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Like most things, once you hit delete it goes to trash. What's the problem with it going to trash first? I delete emails by accident all the time, having the trash folder there is a necessary evil.

Getting back to point, I use Gmail, Exchange, iCloud and Outlook. Gmail and Exchange are by far the busiest. Gmail has the best Spam filters which i've come across which is the main reason I use it as my main personal email.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
I like items going to Trash. The issue a while back with GMail was when you'd delete something and it would go to All Mail (Archive)...

Like most things, once you hit delete it goes to trash. What's the problem with it going to trash first? I delete emails by accident all the time, having the trash folder there is a necessary evil.

Getting back to point, I use Gmail, Exchange, iCloud and Outlook. Gmail and Exchange are by far the busiest. Gmail has the best Spam filters which i've come across which is the main reason I use it as my main personal email.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
As Europa mentioned in post 12 there is a setting which changes whether or not the email is archived or deleted (to trash). This setting has been in use for a good while now.