GMail IMAP for everyone now!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
Apologies if this has already been posted - must have missed it.

Setting your Langauge to English (US) in the GMail settings will enable the new version of GMail and IMAP.

Other langauges are, apparently, to follow.

Being English I can live the the US mis-spellings:laugh2: for colour etc.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
What are the differences when connecting to gmail via IMAP vs. POP3?
POP doesn't show your folders, and doesn't directly sync with the server. You can have read emails in your inbox through a regular browser, and the iPhone will pull them down as UNread to the iPhone.
IMAP just syncs up the iPhone to the server. ( although, I am not sure about sent mail, I do know that if you get an email on the iPhone and mark it read, it will show as read on the website.)

electoman

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Atlanta, GA
POP doesn't show your folders, and doesn't directly sync with the server. You can have read emails in your inbox through a regular browser, and the iPhone will pull them down as UNread to the iPhone.
IMAP just syncs up the iPhone to the server. ( although, I am not sure about sent mail, I do know that if you get an email on the iPhone and mark it read, it will show as read on the website.)

I am not sure about gmail but, I have the IMAP feature for our exchange server and all the folders, including sent, sync. It is really cool since I can see where I have replied and forwarded messages just as in Outlook. It makes my iPhone a good businesss phone. I would be curious about the sent folder in gmail. Although, I don't think I need anymore email addresses.

:p

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
By default IMAP Gmail doesn't sync the Sent folder (it uses a local iPhone folder).

But you can change that by going into the advanced settings option. See this Web page:
http://5thirtyone.com/archives/862

--
Mike