GMail IMAP in 1.1.2

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Has anyone else noticed that email using IMAP and GMail on 1.1.2 seems to get to the phone almost instantly. I just had my friend send me a couple test emails and i was getting them within like 4 minutes of him sending it. To test things out, I had my email client check for mail so I knew the time. Then I closed it out and had him send me an email. 4 minutes later I had the email and the iPhone was telling me it was there. I've got it to check every 15 minutes so I was incredibly confused to get them so fast. Anyone else noticing this?

I'm only connected via Edge ATM if that matters.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Has anyone else noticed that email using IMAP and GMail on 1.1.2 seems to get to the phone almost instantly. I just had my friend send me a couple test emails and i was getting them within like 4 minutes of him sending it. To test things out, I had my email client check for mail so I knew the time. Then I closed it out and had him send me an email. 4 minutes later I had the email and the iPhone was telling me it was there. I've got it to check every 15 minutes so I was incredibly confused to get them so fast. Anyone else noticing this?

I'm only connected via Edge ATM if that matters.
I don't use gmail imap but i use hotmail imap (through izymail) and I noticed since the update to 1.1.2 i get my emails really fast too. My phone is supposed to check every 15 minutes as well but sometimes I'll get 2 emails within 10 minutes. It's really cool, even though I don't really understand how this is happening

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
I believe that is what IMAP is supposed to do, I may be wrong. Seems like ever since I got my Gmail IMAP I've been getting my messages faster, which I think is due to the IMAP, not the firmware on the phone?

Still 1.1.1 by the way

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
That's not really what IMAP is suppose to do. IMAP just gives you access to the email on the server so it's faster and whatever you do on the phone happens immediately on the server. But regardless, I'm happy about it.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
How did you know you had email? Did you just wait at the home screen and wait for the pop-up next to the mail icon?

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
Nothing has changed for me. There are tons of discussion as to what IMAP is. Search 'em and you should get your question answered.

In short Gmail ain't exactly IMAP. You gotto check for mails manually. I just sent couple of test emails to my Gmail account and its been 10 mins now, nothing has shown up.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I use it and it's been pretty much the same as it was in 1.1.1.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Pure Speculation here, but is it possible that if you set the phone to check every 15 minutes, that it's doing it on the quarter hour, and the messages you send might not be?
Having the phone auto-check on the quarter hour would be easier to program too, since you just have to program it to look for _ _:00, _ _:15, _ _:30, and _ _:45. Otherwise you would have a timer going from the point that you activated the feature. That could be a bigger battery drain.
Anyway, my original point was that if it's checking on the quarter hour and you sent something to your account at 3:36, then yes, it would show up 9 minutes later at 3:45.

Again PURE SPECULATION. Just trying to be logical about how it could seem faster.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Pure Speculation here, but is it possible that if you set the phone to check every 15 minutes, that it's doing it on the quarter hour, and the messages you send might not be?
Having the phone auto-check on the quarter hour would be easier to program too, since you just have to program it to look for _ _:00, _ _:15, _ _:30, and _ _:45. Otherwise you would have a timer going from the point that you activated the feature. That could be a bigger battery drain.
Anyway, my original point was that if it's checking on the quarter hour and you sent something to your account at 3:36, then yes, it would show up 9 minutes later at 3:45.

Again PURE SPECULATION. Just trying to be logical about how it could seem faster.
yes, I had thought about this as well. It's possible it's doing it this way, but I don't think so. When I opened up the email after it buzzed me and told me it had a new email, the last check (before it checked for email as I opened it up) was not on a quarter hour. So I'm not sure. It was probably just me thinking it was.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Nothing has changed for me. There are tons of discussion as to what IMAP is. Search 'em and you should get your question answered.

In short Gmail ain't exactly IMAP. You gotto check for mails manually. I just sent couple of test emails to my Gmail account and its been 10 mins now, nothing has shown up.

I'm fully aware of what IMAP is.

What do you mean Gmail ain't exactly IMAP? I'm curious to know what you mean.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I'm fully aware of what IMAP is.

What do you mean Gmail ain't exactly IMAP? I'm curious to know what you mean.
I think he was going along the lines that IMAP is a push mail service. Unfortunately, that is not the case.
It is my understanding that IMAP just enables the ability to have all your folders, or mailbox template, "duplicated" ( I use that very loosely) on client or device configured for the mailbox.
This is why you have your mail folders from Google show up when configured for IMAP, and not when configured for POP. It's also why you still have auto-check options (manual, 15, 30, 1 hour, etc) on the iPhone, instead of "instant" or push like a blackberry.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Yes, you are correct in that IMAP is not push by default. There is an additional part of IMAP which can be used for push, but it's not part of the base IMAP specification. A lot of people get confused with that.

But you are right on seeing everything from the server on your phone. It makes this a ton easier. Now if only Apple and GMail would get push working :) I'm hoping it's soon.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Yes, you are correct in that IMAP is not push by default. There is an additional part of IMAP which can be used for push, but it's not part of the base IMAP specification. A lot of people get confused with that.

But you are right on seeing everything from the server on your phone. It makes this a ton easier. Now if only Apple and GMail would get push working :) I'm hoping it's soon.
Even IMAP IDLE is not true push, in the true sense of the term.

When people think of push email they usually think Blackberry, which doesn't use IMAP for the "push" part.

--
Mike

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Unfortunately I'd have to say no change for me since 1.1.1.... I've been testing it in various configurations from various sources (different email accounts, youtube, etc.)

By no change, I mean it's pretty random. Sometimes I get a message in under my 15-minutes check window, though this only seems to happen when I'm on Edge and not Wifi. But it's definitely not consistent.

Sometimes if I check gmail via the web, it pops up in my inbox immediately. Sometimes it doesn't.

All I can say with relative certainty is that mails seem to appear faster on Edge than Wifi. Beyond that I just don't really get it so I'm done experimenting with it for now. Going back to wifi... I can wait 15 minutes.

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The only problem I have had with Gmail IMAP is that I wanted to have my Sent Mail kept in my Gmail server folder instead of on my iPhone and it never shows up. When I went back and selected On the Phone, my sent mail was in the Sent folder..

Not a biggie...

Overall I am very pleased with Gmail IMAP. If I buy something from the Apple Store I get the receipt email before I make it out of the door.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
The only problem I have had with Gmail IMAP is that I wanted to have my Sent Mail kept in my Gmail server folder instead of on my iPhone and it never shows up. When I went back and selected On the Phone, my sent mail was in the Sent folder..

Not a biggie...

Overall I am very pleased with Gmail IMAP. If I buy something from the Apple Store I get the receipt email before I make it out of the door.
yes, when I set up my GMail account I had to set up my Sent Items and Trash folder to be the folder on the Gmail account. It defaulted to the local one which meant I didn't see the sent email.

colombianito

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
i believe if you are on wifi...it gets it instantly...but if you are on edge, it checks for mail at the intervals preset on the settings... i have mine at one hour intervals but when i am on wifi..it is almost instantly...im mst of the time on wifi so is cool...