GMail - IMAP or POP?

Torinate

Bronze
Sep 19, 2009
Hello all...

I ahev the Gmail sync set-up on my 3GS.

Here's the question. Is it better to set it up using the POP (as it is now) or change it to the IMAP settings? The way the email is synching is a little strange - the inbox doesn't show all the messages there. But, if I go to the "all mail" heading, there they are. It does things a little differently.

Will changing the settings change it? Which is better? It seems pretty quick - maybe a minute or two from sending to receiving.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Cjvdh

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2009
York, PA
www.twitter.com
I have POP works fine for me. If there really isn't anything wrong with it I would suggest messing with it.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
IMAP is generally considered better because it is a true sync. Anything you read or delete on the phone will be marked as read or deleted in gmail and vice versa. POP will just copy the message off the server and send it to the phone.

Ward

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
IMAP every time for every mail service if possible.

I avoid POP because you can only really use it on one machine. IMAP can be accessed by multiple machines (iPhone, laptop, desktop, etc) and all the mail is stored on the server. So even if one machine spontaneously combusts, you've lost no email at all. Also, if you wipe one machine, it's simply a matter of configuring the email client again, and all the mail is downloaded at the next sync - inbox, sent folder, archive, read, unread, trash etc.

With POP, your machine (or phone) stores the ONLY copies of the mail you receive. If you lose your phone, you lose those emails. You can get around this by setting it to leave mail on the server but this only a pale shadow of the true off-site invulnerable nature of IMAP.

Torinate

Bronze
Sep 19, 2009
Will the IMAP settings just replace the POP settings?

I don't really want / need both...

Torinate

Bronze
Sep 19, 2009
This is crazy.

So, I set it up with the IMAP. Now, under email accounts, I have 2 listings (the same) for my gmail account. What do I do now?

Ward

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
Delete them both.

Set up a new account and choose Google Mail. Enter your email address as the username and your password. That's it. It uses IMAP by default. (Even Apple knows what's better).

Torinate

Bronze
Sep 19, 2009
Are google mail and gmail not one and the same?

Here's the catch, i've synced my calendar with the gmail account. To delete it would delete the calendar as well. Does the IMAP sync both the caledar and email or just email?

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
It depends. One copy might be for mail, i.e. IMAP while you might also have a separate setup to sync contacts & calendar. What are the detailed settings for each account?

Ward

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
I use calendar syncing too, so I have two Google entries. I have named them during setup appropriately: Google Mail, Google Calendar.

While you're checking the settings, you should change the name to reflect the account context.

Torinate

Bronze
Sep 19, 2009
Just emailed myself from home. Both email accounts have received the same message - my phone shows 2 new emails, however, only 1 message was sent...

Ward

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
Sounds like they're both email accounts.

Either way, it does no harm to delete them both. With IMAP, emails will simply download again. Calendar entries too. If one of the accounts is POP, you will lose mail, but it all simply ends up in All Mail folder on the GMail website and can easily be moved back to wherever you want it.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
I have my mail account with IMAP settings under username@gmail.com. For my calendar & contacts syncs, I configured the "Microsoft Exchange" setting using "username@googlemail.com". I can do this since I have no need to use that Exchange server setting for mail. It just does the contacts and calendars. The iPhone only permits a single Exchange account while you can have multiple mail accounts.

YMMV

Torinate

Bronze
Sep 19, 2009
Good idea. Leave both accounts - turn off mail sync on the POP account and name it calendar. Unless, the IMAP will sync the calendar as well. Or is the IMAP just a mail setting?

Torinate

Bronze
Sep 19, 2009
I have the exchange setting for the original POP account. Both accounts have the exact same email address - gmail.com

Ward

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
IMAP is just for mail, like POP but better.

I use CalDAV (calendar only protocol) to access my calendars. It's not as comprehensive as Exchange nor does it support push, but I don't use my calendar that much.

Torinate

Bronze
Sep 19, 2009
I think i've got it.

I set-up the original Exchange (POP) to sync just calendars and contacts. I've left the IMAP setting for just the email. When I did this, it showed only 1 new email message.

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
IMAP lets your computer and iPhone be in sync and you do not have to re-read messages to mark them as read. Read it on the iPhone and the computer will show it read.

Torinate

Bronze
Sep 19, 2009
Good.

I'm hoping that i've got it set up right now...

We shall see.