Gmail issues?

bacon_and_rice

Bronze
Jul 9, 2008
anyone running gmail on your 3g having issues all of the sudden? i tried a manual cycle and keep getting the error "imap.gmail.com" failed.

i tried setting up a yahoo mail account so i can get instant push access, but even then it says yahoo.imapxxxxx failed.

any help? i'm almost ready to trash this thing and get mobileme, but the $100 is a killer

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
it happened to me but i deleted my account then re-did it. so far no problems

bacon_and_rice

Bronze
Jul 9, 2008
i tried that just now, i deleted it, setup a new account, when i entered my password and email, it said the "Cannot get mail: the connection to the server 'imap.gmail.com' failed" message again

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
must be a server problem. i sent of a picture email to a buddy with no problems with gmail through the iPhone 3G

bacon_and_rice

Bronze
Jul 9, 2008
when i try to delete it and readd the gmail account it says "cannot connect using SSL, do you want to try setting up the account without SSL"?

bacon_and_rice

Bronze
Jul 9, 2008
man this is driving me nuts. yahoo wont work, gmail wont work. not sure what to do

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
i tried that just now, i deleted it, setup a new account, when i entered my password and email, it said the "Cannot get mail: the connection to the server 'imap.gmail.com' failed" message again
I was getting the same thing until I added a IMAP Path.

So you may need to go in advance... Go down to IMAP Path. Type in Gmail

That fixed mine. not sure if it's the same issue or not.

bacon_and_rice

Bronze
Jul 9, 2008
man, i was hoping it'd work, but even typing gmail under imap path was still a no go. i'm about to throw this white iPhone thing against the wall if it wasn't so damn sexy looking...

desibhar

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
hotmail won't work on this phone will it?
hotmail will work if you pay to upgrade for pop support, or else use izymail (only has a free trial period)

bacon_and_rice

Bronze
Jul 9, 2008
man im really thinking about spending $100 on mobileme, since yahoo and gmail isn't working out of no where all of the sudden, i just don't want to spend $100 on mobileme, set it up, and run into another imap/pop issue.

desibhar

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
man im really thinking about spending $100 on mobileme, since yahoo and gmail isn't working out of no where all of the sudden, i just don't want to spend $100 on mobileme, set it up, and run into another imap/pop issue.
I got gmail to work for me, and used izymail for hotmail.
I may eventually get mobileme (its really cool), but for now I'm satisfied.

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
My gmail works fine. I accessed it the first time from the mail icon then picked gmail and it asked for user and password. I also noticed that my iPhone seems to be checking the gmail as I pulled it from my pocket and it had a red circle with a 2 in it meaning it had two new messages.

Also, Mobile me was $69 if you bought it when you bought your iPhone and not $99 for the first year.

Jul 14, 2008
Smoothly

my gmail is running smoothly
You must have never owned a Blackberry, cause that has TRUE PUSH technology. I can't believe I gave up my BB for this garbage! I have to wait 15 minutes for it to push my emails? or keep checking myself? Can't believe it. Called Apple they said GMAIL will not push to iPhone. Tried yahoo not much better. iPhone is still for kids not yet for businesss owners. Oh mobile me just as bad... it only pushes every 15 minutes. Sucks...

If you don't own one don't get it. The 1st iPhone pushes faster than the 3G.

bacon_and_rice

Bronze
Jul 9, 2008
elcircuit, i heard mobipush works with gmail to push your emails in "real time" just as the blackberry does. trust me i know what you mean, i was a HUGE blackberry fanatic.when it comes to emails, blackberry can't be touched, but as far as an all around device, i think the iPhone has the most potential. but again, emails is a big part of my mobile life, so its a struggle, which is why i'm bugging out, my gmail worked perfectly fine, and all the sudden, BAM, it doesn't work!

bacon_and_rice

Bronze
Jul 9, 2008
Update

okay, out of no where, about 4 hours after my last post, my emails came through. must have been a server down or something. anyhow, everything was fine and dandy, i was receiving emails left and right.

now here's the latest issue, when i try to send an email, it gives me an error message. saying the outgoing mail failed, stored in outbox, please go to settings > mail account to enter password, password has not been entered? wtf?

the password is correct and it is already in the box. i deleted it and retyped it to be extra sure. still no go?!

wsegatto

Nov 19, 2008
I found the solution!

Go to:
Settings -> Fetch New Data -> Fetch -> Manually

Then, go to:
Settings -> Fetch New Data -> Advanced
And set all accounts to "Manually".

Try refreshing your e-mail. Mine worked just fine after that...
Then, you can change the "Advanced" back to "Fetch".

confuego

Jan 9, 2009
Imap on 3G has beenworking flawlessly for several months, then suddenly yesterday "Cannot get mail. The connection to the server Imap.gmail.com failed, and emails access stops. WTF? Any suggestions? Is there a place to check for google IMAP down times? No changes to phone or account by me. Probems on Edge, 3G and wifi. Arrrrrgh!