gMail messages didn't show up on iPhone, but showed up on laptop...why?

dinosaur1

Silver
Nov 10, 2007
The weirdest thing happened today. I kept checking my iPhone for my gMail e-mails, but it kept saying that there were no e-mails for the entire day. When I got home I had 30 e-mails on my laptop....what happened?

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
The weirdest thing happened today. I kept checking my iPhone for my gMail e-mails, but it kept saying that there were no e-mails for the entire day. When I got home I had 30 e-mails on my laptop....what happened?
Check in your email settings that you have the correct settings. Copy the same settings from the laptop into the iPhone.

dinosaur1

Silver
Nov 10, 2007
Check in your email settings that you have the correct settings. Copy the same settings from the laptop into the iPhone.

actually I deleted the email account and put it back in and it seems to be ifne now. that was weird.

mad_vtak

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
Did you do it through pop or Imap? My imap doesn't want to work right. Says Mail was unable to open this mailbox on this server "imap.gmail.com"

The erver error encountered was: Unknown mailbox: [Gmail](failure)

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Did you do it through pop or Imap? My imap doesn't want to work right. Says Mail was unable to open this mailbox on this server "imap.gmail.com"

The erver error encountered was: Unknown mailbox: [Gmail](failure)

Again, sounds like you need to delete the account and re-enter the exact same settings you have in the computer.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
If it's not coming in only the phone, you probably have the wrong incoming server. For Gmail, it's pop.gmail.com, smtp.gmail.com, or imap.gmail.com.

- John

mad_vtak

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
If it's not coming in only the phone, you probably have the wrong incoming server. For Gmail, it's pop.gmail.com or smtp.gmail.com.

- John
Its not imap.gmail.com? IN the mac mail application it worked just fine with imap.gmail.com

AWY

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
California
Here, try this, if you haven't already done so. I used the following to set-up 2 of my e-mail accounts. Good luck!

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/mailhelper/

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Its not imap.gmail.com? IN the mac mail application it worked just fine with imap.gmail.com
Thanks for catching that. I forgot about IMAP.

- John