Gmail now with IMAP!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Don't know if anyone has seen this yet, I saw it on Digg.com but Gmail has IMAP. I set it up through the online instruction that Google provided and it works great. You can't use the Setup option that the iPhone gives you, you have to set it up a little different, but it looks like some of us have gotten what we always wanted!

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
yes its kind of odd, I have the IMAP option and my girlfriend doesn't yet. I wonder how they are sending out who has it and who doesn't

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I don't have the IMAP setting in my gmail account either. But I have set it all up on my iPhone and can only check back from time to time and see if gmail has rolled it out to me.

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
No IMAP for me either.

Also sorry for being a noob, but I'm curious on the difference between pop and imap if anyone can fill me in.

Pop allows you to get email, thats about it. IMAP on the other hand allows you folders and also the ability that if you delete,read, or any other action on one device, what ever other devices use that IMAP account will have the same action as well. If anyone knows of any other IMAP features, let me know, I just listed the important

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Pop allows you to get email, thats about it. IMAP on the other hand allows you folders and also the ability that if you delete,read, or any other action on one device, what ever other devices use that IMAP account will have the same action as well. If anyone knows of any other IMAP features, let me know, I just listed the important
Hence the name IMAP (Interactive Mail Access Protocol)...M:laugh2:

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Interesting thing is this. When I used to have my Cingular 8525, I had all the options that you mentioned. And that was only configured via POP. I wonder why that is not possible via iPhone?

Oh well, as long as I get the IMAP option soon, I shall be well on my way to getting folders setup. That is one thing I sorely miss. Sucks having all the emails you need to store sitting in your inbox.

I'm very surprised that Yahoo charges for this type of service. They really need to move with the times and offer it for free.

Headie_Fishing

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Okay, so after configuring my mail account and iPhone for IMAP here is the only difference I notice. When I go to the Mailboxes screen on my phone I know have: All Mail, Drafts, Sent Mail, Spam, Starred, and Trash. What else am I missing here people?

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Hate to pull the ignorant card but I'm unsure as to why IMAP is actually that much better. Any help?
It's better because it duplicates your actions on all devices you have the IMAP account on. Explanation: Delete your mail on your mobile device, it also deletes it on the mail server. Store your mail in a folder on your mobile device, it's also done on the server and so forth...M

BTW: There is NO ignorant question...

SrLANGuy

Jul 22, 2007
The other big reason to use IMAP is "push e-mail".

From Wikipedia: Push e-mail is used to describe e-mail systems that provide an "always-on" capability, in which new e-mail is instantly and actively transferred (pushed) as it arrives by the mail delivery agent (MDA) (commonly called mail server) to the mail user agent (MUA), also called the e-mail client. Most of today's clients are smartphones.

With POP ("pull e-mail"), your iPhone has to check the server to see if new messages have arrived. With IMAP, the server lets your iPhone know when new messages have arrived.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
The other big reason to use IMAP is "push e-mail".

From Wikipedia: Push e-mail is used to describe e-mail systems that provide an "always-on" capability, in which new e-mail is instantly and actively transferred (pushed) as it arrives by the mail delivery agent (MDA) (commonly called mail server) to the mail user agent (MUA), also called the e-mail client. Most of today's clients are smartphones.

With POP ("pull e-mail"), your iPhone has to check the server to see if new messages have arrived. With IMAP, the server lets your iPhone know when new messages have arrived.
I completely forgot to add that feature, Good Save...Thanks...M:laugh2:

julienhi

Oct 16, 2007
pop problem

I have 3 emails set up in my pop account under my internet provider, my third emai address for some reason wont work? any ideas? the first 2 emails worked fine, i put in my pop and smtp info and passwords and it just wont get my email? any ideas would be great

t-mack

Jul 18, 2007
IMAP Not available for all GMail

Hmm I don't have the option for imap in my gmail account. Weird, and it kinda sucks.
It appears that IMAP is available for any new account. (just set up a new one and IMAP is there) My two old GMail accounts do not have the IMAP option available. I have had those accounts for more than 2 years.

My wife's G-Mail account also had IMAP available. Her account was set up about a year ago.

I'm not sure of the rhyme nor reason, but hopefully all GMail will have IMAP soon :laugh2:

Here is some more great info from the folks at Google explaining the IMAP fields and what happens to the server copy when you do certain things from your iPhone. It also details that the IMAP functionality will be rolled out to everyone over the next few days!

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2007/10/gmail-supports-imap.html