[Gmail] or Gmail labels in the Mail app.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
How are the labels like "Important" and "Starred" under [Gmail] different from the other labels like "Personal" and "notes". I tried researching this on Google, but Google didn't understand my question.
This:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415803527.534744.jpg

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Surely there's at least one Gmail expert here! I've wondered about this for some time. Recently I had someone ask me what the difference was. I had no clue.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Apple and Notes are folders you manually added in at some point. They are not default mailboxes. You can add folders on the phone by selecting New Mailbox. You can delete them by tapping them and selecting Delete Mailbox.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Apple and Notes are folders you manually added in at some point. They are not default mailboxes. You can add folders on the phone by selecting New Mailbox. You can delete them by tapping them and selecting Delete Mailbox.
There's usually a few there by default. I did create the Apple folder. All my gmail accounts had a notes folder by default. But they're hidden if Notes is toggled on in Settings for an account. That goes back to the discussion about the Notes app. My question is about the folders offset under [Gmail]. Beneath those (Important and Starred) are usually folders titled "Personal, Receipts, Work and etc.). Is there a difference in those offset (Important and Starred) and the others? Is it that Important and Starred are officially the default folders, and the others created? If so, then someone created some on mine before I got my phone. I never had a Gmail account before getting my iP 4. When I first set up my first Gmail, it already had Personal, Work and another I don't recall. I have since changed those to meet the needs of each account. But do those offset behave different? Thanks for replying.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
I use "important" for special contacts such that when I get a new email, my badge icon displays the appropriate numeral for the number of new/unread messages from important person(s). I use "stared" as a quick place marker to more easily find a previously read message that I want to be able quickly locate again later.
YMMV

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
There's usually a few there by default. I did create the Apple folder. All my gmail accounts had a notes folder by default. But they're hidden if Notes is toggled on in Settings for an account. That goes back to the discussion about the Notes app. My question is about the folders offset under [Gmail]. Beneath those (Important and Starred) are usually folders titled "Personal, Receipts, Work and etc.). Is there a difference in those offset (Important and Starred) and the others? Is it that Important and Starred are officially the default folders, and the others created? If so, then someone created some on mine before I got my phone. I never had a Gmail account before getting my iP 4. When I first set up my first Gmail, it already had Personal, Work and another I don't recall. I have since changed those to meet the needs of each account. But do those offset behave different? Thanks for replying.

Correction. Notes is there by default if you leave notes on when you set up the account on the iPhone. I always toggle mine off since I use iCloud for syncing notes. You created the Apple folder. Important and Starred are default folders.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Correction. Notes is there by default if you leave notes on when you set up the account on the iPhone. I always toggle mine off since I use iCloud for syncing notes. You created the Apple folder. Important and Starred are default folders.
When I toggle Notes on in Settings for a Gmail account, it is hidden in the folders list. When I toggle Notes Off in settings, then it shows in the folders list. Is mine backwards? I have mine toggled off as well for the same reason. But notes show in my gmail folders.