Gmail Push ...sort of.

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
Not sure what section this really should be, I own a 3GS, but this could be beneficial to all users. Mods, feel free to move if necessary.

No, this isn't a topic on why doesn't the push feature work with my gmail account, this is what I used as my solution. Since Gpush isn't out yet (soon I hope! *crosses fingers*), I wanted to see if there was another solution.

Here's what you need:

Prowl (2.99 in the app store, well worth it.)
Growl (free on tha intrawebs)
Thunderbird (also free on tha intrawebs)

Basically what you do is install prowl on your iPhone, and sign up for an account. You then download Growl for your PC (or Mac, both are available). You then install Thunderbird, and the Growl plug-in as well.

It's pretty simple how this works. You set up Thunderbird as an IMAP extension of your gmail account, and every time you get a new email, the growl plug-in notifies the growl program, which then pushes a notification to Prowl on your iPhone.

I know it isn't true push email, but since google doesn't find the iPhone important enough to enable it, this is the next best thing.

There isn't much of a delay either, from the time Thunderbird says you have a new email to the time your iPhone gets the push notification, is about 30 seconds tops, usually within 10.

Here is a link to the walk through I used:

Linky

No I cant take the credit, but I just wanted to let you guys know that there are options. Oh BTW, this also works if you have more than one gmail account, as you can add multiples into Thunderbird and it keeps track of them all separately.

Also, the Growl application can also send notifications for other things, not just email, like to remind you that your favorite TV show is on, or that your Torrent has finished downloading, pretty cool stuff.

duvi

Bronze
Jul 19, 2009
In the future
www.twitter.com

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
If you install GMail Notifier (not sure if it's available for just Mac or PC too) from Google then there's no need to install Thunderbird. It works just the same.

I've been using it since Prowl came out and it work great.

I find it indiscernible from push, provided my Mac is running.

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
Thanks for sharing... that's a very lengthy process.

I also found the following which makes Gmail act as an exchange account to provide push (from my understanding). I haven't purchased it yet, but it's $25/yr and has contacts and calendar syncing as well.

http://www.nuevasync.com/

Also, off Google's help site, an employee states push mail is coming to the iPhone.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=050f5c938b6d49b5&hl=en
It is lengthy, but I'm the type of person that enjoys tinkering with things, so while it was a bit long, I was giddy with excitement the whole time and wasn't too bothered by it.

I've heard of nuevasync, but never really looked into it, 25 bucks a year doesn't really seem worth it when I got this for 3 bucks one time fee. I know it doesn't push contacts or calendar but I can live with that.

Also, a google employee didn't actually state it was coming, a person answered the question, and the google employee checked yes to that answer. Since he never commented, I'm not even sure that that is the correct answer.

I'm aware of Gpush, I even mention it in my first post.

If you install GMail Notifier (not sure if it's available for just Mac or PC too) from Google then there's no need to install Thunderbird. It works just the same.

I've been using it since Prowl came out and it work great.

I find it indiscernible from push, provided my Mac is running.
There is a PC version, I have it installed on my HP Mini. The notifier would probably work for most, but using Thunderbird allows for multiple accounts to be used, and not just Gmail accounts. While I'm sure the majority of us only have one Gmail account so that isn't an issue, but might have two, so Thunderbird would be the better option.

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
The notifier would probably work for most, but using Thunderbird allows for multiple accounts to be used, and not just Gmail accounts. While I'm sure the majority of us only have one Gmail account so that isn't an issue, but might have two, so Thunderbird would be the better option.
and GMail will handle multiple accounts (not just GMail ones). I have 7 non-GMail accounts set up with GMail and Google Notifier pushes notifications for all to the iPhone through Growl/Prowl. There's no need for Thunderbird.

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
and GMail will handle multiple accounts (not just GMail ones). I have 7 non-GMail accounts set up with GMail and Google Notifier pushes notifications for all to the iPhone through Growl/Prowl. There's no need for Thunderbird.
True, my school's email uses gmail for their interface. Thanks for the heads up :)

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I think push Gmail will be available eventually. Mail is a choice in Google Sync, but it's not fully functional yet.

I can wait. But great workaround nonetheless. :eek:k:eek:k

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
I have no doubt that push Gmail will come around eventually, but until then this is a fully functional way to accomplish pretty much the same thing.

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
But for those of us that already use 10k+/month, it's quite useful. ;)
I don't think I've ever used more than 1k in a month, so I can't justify spending 15 or 20 a month for something that should practically be free.