Gmail Push when restart?

jopiej

Bronze
Jun 19, 2009
Planet Earth
So, I was restarting my phone twice today. soon after restart, the new mail sound pop up. at first i thought it was coming from my exchange, turns out it was my Gmail account, and it happened again in the second restart.

I use my gmail a lot.. will be good if it can really push!:sneaky:

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Get the app GPush. It had a rocky start and many will tell you it sucks, but just the past two days it has been working great and I love it. I think they just had to work out all the tweaks with their servers.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Yes, there seems to be a "problem" with gmail on restarts, or IMAP in general since the 3.0 update.
I can see my mobilemail app hang for 30+ minutes after opening and closing the app. I have everything set to manual/no push. Might be Google, but I suspect that it's the OS. And it's a HUGE battery waster if it keeps staying in connect mode. The funny thing is that it doesn't show as usage. I watched my battery drop 3% inside of 5 minutes with nothing running, but mobile mail was listed as a running app in Free Memory.
I normally have 3 accounts. 2 Gmail IMAP setup, and 1 pop3 setup. I turned off everything but my Main Gmail account. So far, so good.... Might have to delete the accounts altogether and see if things stabilize.

jopiej

Bronze
Jun 19, 2009
Planet Earth
is it a new apps? I've been search for this apps since forever.. reading the review now, hope they fix all the bugs that those users are complaining.

Installed and trying now :)

Mar 2, 2009
California
So, I was restarting my phone twice today. soon after restart, the new mail sound pop up. at first i thought it was coming from my exchange, turns out it was my Gmail account, and it happened again in the second restart.

I use my gmail a lot.. will be good if it can really push!:sneaky:
I have the same problem and thought it was just me.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
My guess: When you boot the phone, the mail app launches in the background automatically, and it will check check for mail at that point regardless of fetch settings.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
My guess: When you boot the phone, the mail app launches in the background automatically, and it will check check for mail at that point regardless of fetch settings.
I think you are right since I've had it happen when there was no new mail to push. So I don't think it is a push issue. However, it only seems to happen to me on my gmail account (I have pop accounts loaded but donuse them, aside from sending, and those accounts don't do the check on reboot thing).

--
Mike

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
And here I thought it was a fluke...
I would think that the mail app checking mail on Boot for an account set to manual is a bad thing. And because I have been monitoring my mail app and how often I see it running in the background when I haven't used or even launched the mail app indicates an OS issue.

For example, I haven't checked mail on my phone since about 3 PM, yet when I just looked now, it's the 4th thing running, and my free memory is jumping between 7-9 MB.
There is something not right about that.

and for the record, I took it in to Apple and had them run diagnostics on it, and they said it was better than fine... I smell smoke being blown up my butt....

Mar 2, 2009
California
I know this is kinda off topic, but what thread isn't? :p

I'm heading to the Apple store right now to look at cases and screen protectors. I need to ask them about conference calling because it never works. When I called AT&T it's already enabled, so it might be an issue with the phone.