Gmail Push + WiFi issues

bparkerson04

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
Hey guys,

I had a quick question. I am new to the iPhone, and I have been having problems with Gmail since day one. I am a convert from the Android OS. The only issue I am havnig now is whenever I try and check my email while connected to my home wifi, I get an error saying "Error: Cannot connect to imap.google.com"... or something similar to that. I resolved this recently by turning IMAP off and then back on in my Google account settings, but the problem is back. I was just wondering if this is an isolated problem with my phone, or if others have experienced this issue, and may have some advice or a fix. Apple support didn't know how to help me. Thanks guys! God bless!:eek:k:eek:k

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
Mine works fine. I'd suggest removing the email account completely, and then re-add it.

Ps: can you browse the internet via wifi? If not, something is wrong with your wifi. More than likely the password you entered on your iPhone doesn't match the correct password for your wifi....

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
How did you add the gmail account? Try removing it, and then add it again, making sure you use the Gmail email feature.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yep, just delete it and then put it back in. You don't have to set it up as IMAP on the phone anymore (your Gmail acct is already set up as IMAP, you don't have to put that in in the phone). You just use the Gmail button on the email setup screen and put in your acct info. Easy as pie!

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Hey guys,

I had a quick question. I am new to the iPhone, and I have been having problems with Gmail since day one. I am a convert from the Android OS. The only issue I am havnig now is whenever I try and check my email while connected to my home wifi, I get an error saying "Error: Cannot connect to imap.google.com"... or something similar to that.
If it really said imap.google.com that's the problem. Should be imap.gmail.com.

If imap.google.com wasn't the error message, and gmail worked outside your home wifi network, as your post seems to imply, it could be your own network or firewall blocking access to imap.gmail.com.

--
Mike

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Nuevasync doesn't push gmail, just contacts and calendar... currently...

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
I use Gmail to sync my calendar & contacts with an hourly fetch by setting up as the Exchange account.
YMMV

laylow2464

Jul 2, 2009
Round Hill, VA
I just got my iPhone last month and i don't see what the problem is, and why you can't get Gmail pushed to the iPhone, i was with Sprint and had an Instinct and that worked fine, so Gmail has the capability, to push. And the Instinct came out like 2 years ago and had Push Gmail and the iPhone still can't get it right......