GMail - PUSH

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
This is what happens when you've been out the game for a while.
There is no longer an option for adding a GMail account to iOS, and have a PUSH option, right?

Unless I setup Calendar, Contacts as iCal, etc.?

Check my post in another thread.
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/receive-push-gmail-alerts-on-ios-after-losing-activesync-support/
for all the details.

I use gmail but I have enabled push by forwarding all mail to my iCloud account and leaving a copy in my Gmail archive. I read the messages in my iCloud account, and when I reply it is configured to send using my Gmail SMTP server. This forces outgoing messages to be sent from my Gmail account and address (it changes the address automatically).

Rick - Pardon my driving, I'm not texting, I'm reloading

Does that work for multiple Gmail accounts, or just one?
It will work with multiple accounts as long as you forward each Gmail acct to an iCloud/me account. If you forward them all to the same iCloud account then all your replies will be sent from the one Gmail accont used in your SMTP settings. If you forward to different iCloud accounts you can have different Gmail accounts send the replies. The reply account is controlled by the Gmail SMTP settings you use for the iCloud account.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
It will work with multiple accounts as long as you forward each Gmail acct to an iCloud/me account. If you forward them all to the same iCloud account then all your replies will be sent from the one Gmail accont used in your SMTP settings. If you forward to different iCloud accounts you can have different Gmail accounts send the replies. The reply account is controlled by the Gmail SMTP settings you use for the iCloud account.
So with 4 Gmail accounts, I would have to create 3 more iCloud accounts? Nah! I don't mind waiting for my mail to fetch. It's quick enough. I guess I could just do my main default Gmail account.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

So with 4 Gmail accounts, I would have to create 3 more iCloud accounts? Nah! I don't mind waiting for my mail to fetch. It's quick enough. I guess I could just do my main default Gmail account.
I only do it for one of my gmail accounts, the one I use most. The others fetch

Rick - Pardon my driving, I'm not texting, I'm reloading

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
I understand there are push-capable apps available, the solution I was discussing is how to use the native iOS Mail app to achieve Gmail push.
I get that. I'm just frustrated as this is a new problem since either 8.0 or 8.0.2. I already forward another exchange account to my Yahoo mail for the push and just hate to re-do it all through iCloud when they will probably fix their "push" problems right after I do that. I'll just continue with the Yahoo app which pushes fine until they fix this problem in an update sometime in the future.