Gmail Push

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Let me start this thread with a prediction: Based on Google's apparent desire for tight integration with the iPhone (as well as their desire for world dominance), I predict that Gmail will go fully push within the next 6 months. No messy forwarding to Exchange servers. Wouldn't it be great?

So, until that happens, I leave this thread for all the creative solution people come up with to push their Gmail to their 2.0 iPhone. I've come up with several plans, but I probably won't be upgrading to 2.0 nearly as quickly as most of you. So let me know how it goes. Here.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I agree with the prediction.

Don't like using Gmail as much as .Mac / MobileMe though - pretty much use it as a secondary account by now ..

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
Let me start this thread with a prediction: Based on Google's apparent desire for tight integration with the iPhone (as well as their desire for world dominance), I predict that Gmail will go fully push within the next 6 months. No messy forwarding to Exchange servers. Wouldn't it be great?

So, until that happens, I leave this thread for all the creative solution people come up with to push their Gmail to their 2.0 iPhone. I've come up with several plans, but I probably won't be upgrading to 2.0 nearly as quickly as most of you. So let me know how it goes. Here.
I am actually worried that because google is sleeping with Apple that gmail push won't happen soon. Apple won't like gmail offering a free alternative to their mobile me and has already told google that she will be refusing them sex...like forever if they do it.

But I really hope they do

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Apple won't like gmail offering a free alternative to their mobile me and has already told google that she will be refusing them sex...like forever if they do it.
lol nice analogy.

But push email is just a part of mobile me. I think Google could pull it off and still "be cool".

Although, I do nearly everything on Google these days, so push Gmail is nearly the last hurdle in my integrated world. I'm one of those guys that would only buy mobileme for the push email, and it's not worth that to me.

bacon_and_rice

Bronze
Jul 9, 2008
i just bought a macbook, how do i go about getting a ".mac" web email address, sorry i know that sounds corny. i'm a pc guy and just made the switch. took me forever just to figure out how to exit out of a screen without my "x", the colored circles are a trip. :)

also, physlicon, if i use the .mac, does THAT offer real time push email without the cycle crap?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Maybe of interest, though it would of course involve paying for MobileMe, which may be a no go for you:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20080709200435121

Excerpt:

You can set up MobileMe to use any email address as a 'push' email on the iPhone. The first thing you need to do is set your non-MobileMe (.Mac) email address for auto-forward to your MobileMe (.Mac) account.

When you create the email account, make sure you set it up as Other (not as a .Mac or MobileMe account.) Then select IMAP as the type of account. Enter the name and auto-forwarded email address. (This is the email address that will show as the "From" email, even though you're using your MobileMe account.)

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
There have been lots of reports of Gmail pushing lately. I'm not experiencing it but many are swearing up and down that they are instantly getting their Gmail emails on their iPhone as soon as they get them on their computer, despite their mail settings being set to Fetch every X amount of minutes. Here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=676407

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I totally forgot about this thread.

I just tried testing my Gmail normally again (I've been forwarding and pushing from Yahoo since I went 3.0), and I apparently am not one of the lucky ones that are getting push. Definitely still fetching for me.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah me too. Seems I waste an hour every few months testing this out after I hear more and more people getting push Gmail. It just never works for me.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Yeah me too. Seems I waste an hour every few months testing this out after I hear more and more people getting push Gmail. It just never works for me.
I feel that it's a glitch, and not actual Gmail push. Every one that stated they are getting their email almost instantly, have it set to fetch. No one set to manual is getting push.
That leads me to believe that the phone is not checking every 15,30 or 60 minutes, but almost every 15,30, or 60 SECONDS.
I have seen my phone react similarly, where it seemed like it wouldn't stop checking for mail, but I was manual, and unless I initiated it, I wouldn't get my email.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
There really shouldn't be any question as to whether it's pushed or not. Just look right when you get an alert and if the timestamp in the newest email is a minute or less than the current time consistently, then it's pushing.

Mine come in under my 15-minute window all the time, but unless it's within a minute (the response time I currently get with my Gmail/Yahoo setup), it's not really push in my opinion.

I do, however, believe that some people are getting true push from Gmail for whatever reason.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
How about this: We forward all our Gmail to Yahoo!, but then have Yahoo! instantly delete all emails that are received there. Then we set up our iPhones to retrieve Gmail manually but Yahoo! with Push. Then, when we get an email, Gmail forwards it to Yahoo!, Yahoo! pushes it to our iPhones which gives us instant notification, but then Yahoo! instantly self-deletes it right away. That way we get the notification and then when we go to our Mail app it to see what it was, Gmail will do a manual check and then we'll just read and respond in Gmail. Get it? This basically just nullifies our red badge counter for Mail since our Gmail will always be checked manually, and our Yahoo! will alert us with a sound of a new email, but then self-delete so we wouldn't ever really see a red badge counter. Please analyze this for problems, I just thought of it now...
(This is a double post, I originally posted it here but I wanted to post it in this thread too :p)

Last edited by a moderator:

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
If your gonna do that, why not just read it from yahoo...if you need to reply, you can select any acct you have set on your phone to reply from.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
If your gonna do that, why not just read it from yahoo...if you need to reply, you can select any acct you have set on your phone to reply from.
I find this approach the easiest. I just don't check my gmail at all on the iPhone... only Yahoo.

Will Yahoo push an email before deleting it? I don't think that would make much sense. Anyway, I'll try it later if no one does before... I'm off to dinner right now. :laugh2:

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Right, but the problem with this is getting confused with which ones you have read already. If you read in Yahoo! but respond in Gmail, then the duplicate emails in Gmail will be marked as unread even though you've already read them in Yahoo!, which will annoy you. That's why we don't want to deal with both accounts, we just want to use and abuse Yahoo! for its pushing capabilities and not deal with it beyond this at all (if possible).

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
So have you tried it? I'm sitting in the dressing room area of David's Bridal while my wife tries on bridesmaid dresses.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
So have you tried it? I'm sitting in the dressing room area of David's Bridal while my wife tries on bridesmaid dresses.
I am trying now. It's not working as simply as I thought. You were right in that messages that are instantly moved to the Trash are not pushed to you. Is there any way to set up some sort of delay so that incoming messages hang out for like 5 seconds before they are moved to the trash? We need a little creative thinking here it looks like...