Gmail Question related to IMAP

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
Newbie to the iPhone world and I searched but did not find an exact answer.

I can send and receive Gmail email on my iPhone 3g with no problem. Yes I have to hit the email to have it check the mail, but it works fine.

I was looking at the set up for my gmail and there is a line in the Advanced section that says IMAP path prefix. There is nothing set in there. What belongs there?

The reason I am wondering is that when I check my Gmail on my iPhone 3g and it downloads the mail and then go to my computer and open the gmail in a browser, the mail is not there. If I move the mail from the inbox on my iPhone to a folder in Gmail, then the messages show up on the computer browser.

I was hoping to have my iPhone read the email (when not at my computer), but when I come back to my computer, the mail I read is still in the main INBOX (just marked read). IF that cannot be done, at least have the messages there.

Can this be done?

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
everything that i send and receive i can check it and it's both on my gmail account on the computer and iPhone

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
how do you have gmail set up? Do you have something programmed in gmail or the phone so the emails end up on both?

hellspawn2

Bronze
Feb 4, 2008
C-bus
how do you have gmail set up? Do you have something programmed in gmail or the phone so the emails end up on both?
No once you set up gmail you still can access it via pc/mac and iPhone.

desibhar

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
imap.gmail.com
smtp.gmail.com

Eninety2

Silver
Jul 22, 2008
i have somewhat of a similar problem with gmail so called "labels". The labels are intended to replace folders, but inturn become folders on the iPhone. I have several filters setup and it automatically sorts them, thats fine. Problem is that whatever comes in as a new email and is then forwarded, it is not reflected as a new email. On the homescreen it just shows the number of emails left unsorted. This defeats the purpose.

anyone have any advice besides just removing the filters and turning my inbox into a landfill?

subguy812

Sep 26, 2007
In the IMAP path prefix put [GMAIL] to make it look exactly like your gmail folders

Eninety2

Silver
Jul 22, 2008
huh? that doesn't work, i just tried it. I need the email program to read the number of email in the all mail folder on the gmail server instead of the inbox.

Eninety2

Silver
Jul 22, 2008
ok, just noticed something. After i added that [GMAIL] to the prefix, i now have absolutely no folders, just an inbox. Its worse now since i can't even check what was sorted.

Aug 6, 2008
my gmail is working fine.

Why not delete your current gmail settings off your phone and try re-doing them.

gl

Eninety2

Silver
Jul 22, 2008
Why not delete your current gmail settings off your phone and try re-doing them.

gl
becasue i already did that once to get a different "reply to" address, and i don't think that it has to do with reinputting the settings.

the mail app is reading the inbox but ignoring new mail in all the other folders. there has to be a way to point the mail app to the rest of the folders or else it does not make any sense for that little bubble to pop up and tell you how many emails you have.

Aug 6, 2008
hmm

becasue i already did that once to get a different "reply to" address, and i don't think that it has to do with reinputting the settings.

the mail app is reading the inbox but ignoring new mail in all the other folders. there has to be a way to point the mail app to the rest of the folders or else it does not make any sense for that little bubble to pop up and tell you how many emails you have.

I wonder how soon it will be, before someone suggests that you do a hard reset and restore your phone. lol