GMail users, and ME.com users...

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
I'm a bit curious...

If you previously used\had GMail, but have either just created an iCloud email address [me.com], or simply had a Mobile ME account previously, have you move all your Calendar, Contacts and Email over to iCloud [@me.com]

Does it seem to work well, i.e. Email, Calendar, and Contacts?

I've been playing with the @me.com email address via iCloud.com, and just like the Mobile ME days, it does seem a little slow.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Ivan

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
I set up an @.me account and setup iCloud but I'm too well committed to GMail to change for now. I have 3 GMail accounts and Calengoo works quite well for me. I may experiment with iCloud at some point but, for now, it's superfluous to my wants and needs.

YMMV

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I used gmail (but only for email) and switched to mobileme as soon as it started. I still forward that old gmail account to my @me.com address.

Even if you still with gmail, you can still use icloud to sync notes, bookmarks, photostream, documents, and reminders.

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
I switched to iCloud (.me) exclusively because it will sync all my bookmarks, address book, data, and docs..

I don't own a PC so it just made sense to me since I have an iMac, iPad, and an iPhone 4S to keep sync'd..

••Sent from my iPhone 4S••

DavidT

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Baltimore MD
I used gmail (but only for email) and switched to mobileme as soon as it started. I still forward that old gmail account to my @me.com address.

Even if you still with gmail, you can still use icloud to sync notes, bookmarks, photostream, documents, and reminders.
Yes why not. Apple set it for us that way. Why not use it.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
Well, bang goes that...

I've copied everything over to test iCloud fully. So for the next week or so I'm using my iPad 2, and iPhone [and Windows PC] with iCloud only. Let's see how this pans out...

M0421231

Oct 20, 2011
Yeah exactly I was thinking the same, I hope there must be any other way to do that!

--
Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app!
I think you can use iCloud control panel to copy your gmail calendar using outlook to iCloud folder but u still can't subscribe. Il try it tonight

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
I am continuing to use gmail for both my calendar and email needs. My contacts however, I have moved over to iCloud. I did this because Gmail forces a small picture on the caller ID whereas iCloud allows the contacts to stay at full size.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
I can't do it.... Mobile ME has decided it doesn't like my password... the same one I have been using for years. It gives me the option to change it BUT it will change it for EVERYTHING Apple not just MM... so I haven't done it yet.
That's the same thing that happened to me when I tried to start iCloud. It's the same password that I've been using on iTunes for years but now it's not good enough? I had better things to do so I stopped. Maybe when I get back to trying to install it they'll have fixed that.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
...after thinking about it more, I've decided to stick with GMail\Google.

Why?

Well, I know me, I'll be swapping back and forth to a BlackBerry or Android of sorts. In doing so, it would prove a little more difficult to use an @me.com address on said device.

Santa

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado, USA
yes, me too. I'm sticking with Gmail/Yahoo Mail. I've had them both for years. Everyone knows the addresses. I know how to use them. At the end of my contract, I'm going to re-evaluate the state of the phone market. If I decide to move to something other than an iPhone, I don't want to have to deal with switching all my stuff.

I might use iCloud for backup, but everything else I'm staying OS neutral.