GMail users, and ME.com users...

Discussion in 'iCloud' started by ivantwilliams, Oct 19, 2011.

1. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

I'm a bit curious...

If you previously used\had GMail, but have either just created an iCloud email address [me.com], or simply had a Mobile ME account previously, have you move all your Calendar, Contacts and Email over to iCloud [@me.com]

Does it seem to work well, i.e. Email, Calendar, and Contacts?

I've been playing with the @me.com email address via iCloud.com, and just like the Mobile ME days, it does seem a little slow.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Ivan

2. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

Rather odd...

Let me ask this, are there any GMail users that have now switched to using ONLY iCloud, for email etc?

3. DavidT

DavidT Member
    Bronze

Still using gmail address but I have all the rest to iCloud.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app.

4. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

I'm going to stick with GMail\Google for now. It has worked flawlessly, hence no need to change as of yet...

5. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

I set up an @.me account and setup iCloud but I'm too well committed to GMail to change for now. I have 3 GMail accounts and Calengoo works quite well for me. I may experiment with iCloud at some point but, for now, it's superfluous to my wants and needs.

YMMV

6. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I used gmail (but only for email) and switched to mobileme as soon as it started. I still forward that old gmail account to my @me.com address.

Even if you still with gmail, you can still use icloud to sync notes, bookmarks, photostream, documents, and reminders.

7. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I switched to iCloud (.me) exclusively because it will sync all my bookmarks, address book, data, and docs..

I don't own a PC so it just made sense to me since I have an iMac, iPad, and an iPhone 4S to keep sync'd..

••Sent from my iPhone 4S••

8. DavidT

DavidT Member
    Bronze

Yes why not. Apple set it for us that way. Why not use it.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app.

9. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

Well, bang goes that...

I've copied everything over to test iCloud fully. So for the next week or so I'm using my iPad 2, and iPhone [and Windows PC] with iCloud only. Let's see how this pans out...

10. M0421231

M0421231 New Member

M concerned that why can't we subscribe to calendars over iCloud or even sync our gmail calendars with iCloud

11. sMhsn

sMhsn Member
    Bronze

Yeah exactly I was thinking the same, I hope there must be any other way to do that!

--
    Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app!

12. M0421231

M0421231 New Member

I think you can use iCloud control panel to copy your gmail calendar using outlook to iCloud folder but u still can't subscribe. Il try it tonight

13. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

I am continuing to use gmail for both my calendar and email needs. My contacts however, I have moved over to iCloud. I did this because Gmail forces a small picture on the caller ID whereas iCloud allows the contacts to stay at full size.

14. Skb2000

Skb2000 Evangelist
    Gold

I can't do it.... Mobile ME has decided it doesn't like my password... the same one I have been using for years. It gives me the option to change it BUT it will change it for EVERYTHING Apple not just MM... so I haven't done it yet.

15. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

Well if Apple set it up it must be the best way ....... previous Puck Mouse, QuickTake , mobileMe, user.

16. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

That's the same thing that happened to me when I tried to start iCloud. It's the same password that I've been using on iTunes for years but now it's not good enough? I had better things to do so I stopped. Maybe when I get back to trying to install it they'll have fixed that.

17. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

...after thinking about it more, I've decided to stick with GMail\Google.

Why?

Well, I know me, I'll be swapping back and forth to a BlackBerry or Android of sorts. In doing so, it would prove a little more difficult to use an @me.com address on said device.

18. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

yes, me too. I'm sticking with Gmail/Yahoo Mail. I've had them both for years. Everyone knows the addresses. I know how to use them. At the end of my contract, I'm going to re-evaluate the state of the phone market. If I decide to move to something other than an iPhone, I don't want to have to deal with switching all my stuff.

I might use iCloud for backup, but everything else I'm staying OS neutral.