GMail Using My Own Domain?

Jeffois

Bronze
Jun 5, 2008
Just got my 16gb Black today.:cool:

Everything is working nicely, with one relatively small glitch.

Gmail is sending and receiving fine, but I can't seem to get the iPhone to get mail if I enter my e-mail address with my own domain name on the phone.

This works perfectly in my Gmail account in general, but even Google's instructions leave my scratching my head as far as what the settings should be for the phone.

Again, sending and receiving is fine if I have my Gmail account info in the phone.

Sending works with my domain in the settings on the phone, it's only receving that fails under those circumstances.

Anyone come across this one? I searched the forums, my apologies if this has been covered...

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Did you set-up your domain email account under 'other' or it is tied to your gmail settings?

Jeffois

Bronze
Jun 5, 2008
Did you set-up your domain email account under 'other' or it is tied to your gmail settings?
I have the phone syncing the account with my Mac's Mail.app, which is set up and working with my desired settings just peachily.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Go to settings | mail, contacts, calendars | and check the default account. The iPhone will use this account to send. Go to gmail on your mac.

Click accounts.
Make sure your domain account is in the list and verified.
If it is not verified gmail will not let you send through it as gmail thinks it may be a spam relay.

Jeffois

Bronze
Jun 5, 2008
Go to settings | mail, contacts, calendars | and check the default account. The iPhone will use this account to send. Go to gmail on your mac.

Click accounts.
Make sure your domain account is in the list and verified.
If it is not verified gmail will not let you send through it as gmail thinks it may be a spam relay.
What should I be looking for for an indication that it's verified?

The way I have it setup on my Mac is:
Inocming Mail Server, User name, password are all the Gmail values. SMTP server is through Gmail. Under Email Address, I have my own domain e-mail addresses listed.

Under those settings, in Mail.app, I can send no prob. That's what I'm hoping to accomplish on the phone. That I can send using Gmail, receive the e-mails, and send with my own domain showing as the reply-to, etc...

Thanks for your patience and advice.:)

Jeffois

Bronze
Jun 5, 2008
It should be noted, that looking at the Gmail help pages, they have instructions with screenshots that don't match what I see, which I assume means that they haven't updated their instructions for 2.0 software.

I don't know if this helps diagnose the problem, but I figured more info is better...

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
In my experience this won't work because you are attempting to logon to the GMail server with the wrong user name. It will only work with your GMail address and password.

Jeffois

Bronze
Jun 5, 2008
That's a shame. It even seems that it should have worked under 1.x, given Google's instructions, but I tend to agree with you, because looking at the choices for settings on the phone, it doesn't give you a field separately for both e-mail address and Gmail account name.

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
Jeffois,
First off, how is your custom domain email setup with Gmail? Is it set to automatically forward to your Gmail account, checked as a POP account within Gmail, or set up through Gmail's Google Apps account? If it's setup through Gmail's Google Apps account, I have one and use it just fine with the iPhone. Let me know and I'll write up directions on how I have it setup.

Jeffois

Bronze
Jun 5, 2008
Jeffois,
First off, how is your custom domain email setup with Gmail? Is it set to automatically forward to your Gmail account, checked as a POP account within Gmail, or set up through Gmail's Google Apps account? If it's setup through Gmail's Google Apps account, I have one and use it just fine with the iPhone. Let me know and I'll write up directions on how I have it setup.
It's setup as an IMAP account. I give out my domain addy to people, which I then have set via my hosting company to forward to Google. I have my Gmail set via a free Google Apps account to show my domain as the reply-to.

Does that help? Thanks again to you and anyone else who has ideas...

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
It's setup as an IMAP account. I give out my domain addy to people, which I then have set via my hosting company to forward to Google. I have my Gmail set via a free Google Apps account to show my domain as the reply-to.

Does that help? Thanks again to you and anyone else who has ideas...
Ok, this is how I'm currently setup: I have an email account at my own domain name. Through Google Apps, I have it set up so that Google hosts my email -- which in case anyone is interested, is totally free btw. So my email isn't "forwarded" to a particular Gmail mail address, but rather, my email server is hosted by Google/Gmail completely. If this is how yours is setup, then read on. However, if your email is setup so that it's forwarded to a Gmail email address, this won't work. Currently the iPhone does not have a "reply-to" email field. Perhaps they'll change this in the future.

There are two ways you can set it up on the iPhone:

1) As an IMAP account. The downside is that any emails deleted off the iPhone will also be deleted off the server. For directions on setting it up as an IMAP see this link: https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=77702

2) As a POP account. Gmail's a little tricky in that they only allows POP emails to be downloaded once. So if you have your mail setup with Mail.app as a POP account on your laptop, any emails downloaded on your laptop first will NOT download on your iPhone. The work around is to use Gmail's "recent" feature, which allows you to download all emails within the last 30 days.

To set your email as a POP account, do the following:

1. Create a new email account. Select "Other". Fill in your name, email address, password, etc.

2. For Incoming settings:
Host Name: pop.gmail.com
Username: recent:username@yourdomain.com

For Outgoing Settings:
Hostname: smtp.gmail.com
Username: username@yourdomain.com
Use SSL: on
Authentication: Password
Server Port 587

xSoNiCcRaCkErSx

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
One thing most people do not know:

iPhone does NOT work with kerberos authentification. You need to use Cram-MD5 or something more unsafe than that. Just FYI. I do not know if this is your problem or not but it can relieve frustration if you did not know.

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
Not sure if this meets your need, but here is what I have figured out as how I am currently using the iPhone and my own domain emails.

I set up my own domain emails in the "Other Mail" set up on the iPhone and used the pop and smtp settings for my domain.

Then I set up the outgoing server to be my domain smtp outgoing server. (for the record I do have gmail set up as it is independent of my domain ie work email).

When I check mail, I see all my email sent to me at my domain and when I reply, it looks like it was sent from my desktop computer.

The only issue is that if you reply on the iPhone, you have no copy in your sent folder on the computer email client. So i set up the iPhone to BCC me. Also, when you open your computer email client, all the emails appear unread, so you have to mark them as read (wish I had a workaround for this).

One other thing, make sure your email client is either not running or set to not check mail automatically or you will miss emails on the iPhone if the computer checks mail when you are not at the office. I shut my email client off.

Jeffois

Bronze
Jun 5, 2008
One thing most people do not know:

iPhone does NOT work with kerberos authentification. You need to use Cram-MD5 or something more unsafe than that. Just FYI. I do not know if this is your problem or not but it can relieve frustration if you did not know.
You just ran headlong into the depths of my ignorance. The first two sentences of that post made no sense to me. I surmise that these are different types of e-mail protocols, but I must plead ignorance here.

The only issue is that if you reply on the iPhone, you have no copy in your sent folder on the computer email client. So i set up the iPhone to BCC me. Also, when you open your computer email client, all the emails appear unread, so you have to mark them as read (wish I had a workaround for this).

One other thing, make sure your email client is either not running or set to not check mail automatically or you will miss emails on the iPhone if the computer checks mail when you are not at the office. I shut my email client off.
This may be a silly question, but.... does your hosting company not offer IMAP? That would solve all of your problems easily.

Jeffois

Bronze
Jun 5, 2008
Got it!

Found the answer on the The iPhone Blog forums:

Multiple "From" Addresses

A person much smarter than I posts the answer on the 2nd page of the thread linked above.