Gmail vs. MobileMe

I do not own an iPhone yet, but plan on getting one for myself and my wife around the holidays. I recently purchased my first Mac computer, and opened a new MobileMe account, in anticipation of allowing a seamless "synching" with my future iPhone. However, I have noticed many people have elected to continue using their GMail accounts instead.

What are the pros and cons of each, in terms of use with the iPhone; and which would you recommend a relative tech noobie use primarily?

Thanks for all of the awesome info you guys provide here!

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I do not own an iPhone yet, but plan on getting one for myself and my wife around the holidays. I recently purchased my first Mac computer, and opened a new MobileMe account, in anticipation of allowing a seamless "synching" with my future iPhone. However, I have noticed many people have elected to continue using their GMail accounts instead.

What are the pros and cons of each, in terms of use with the iPhone; and which would you recommend a relative tech noobie use primarily?

Thanks for all of the awesome info you guys provide here!
Well, I use Gmail for push contacts, calendar, and email for free. MobileMe does the same thing, except for $99 a year.

Well I guess Gmail is the winner here :laugh2:
Yeah, looks like it is unanimous! :p

Has anyone here used both? If so, how do they compare?

I am not very tech savvy, so is setting up GMail via IMAP a relatively easy process?

I currently have earthlink as my home internet provider; how do i find out if I can set up that account as an IMAP? Would they be able to tell me?

jimwarden

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah, looks like it is unanimous! :p

Has anyone here used both? If so, how do they compare?

I am not very tech savvy, so is setting up GMail via IMAP a relatively easy process?

I currently have earthlink as my home internet provider; how do i find out if I can set up that account as an IMAP? Would they be able to tell me?[/QUOT

There are some how to videos on YouTube. Search "gmail IMAP".

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
for gmail push calendar to the iPhone.. can that also push to the ical on your mac for 3 way sync?

clavat

Jul 27, 2007
You could do the 60 day trial for MobileMe. I just signed up for it today, and my gmail retrieves my school email (microsoft outlook) and forwards it to my mobile me account.

The calendar syncing is really nice, and for some reason i've always hated gcal. I just ordered my iMac on friday..so the anticipation is killing me. The thought of having everything synced up and looking the same is such a relief (I'm very anal when it comes to consistency)

I didn't think gmail had push, but I may be mistaken. I know yahoo mail does.

Edit: Based on my experience of using it for about 2 hours or so, there are still some kinks that need working out. Server errors cause you have to have to enter things twice (calendar events) and some menu's stay up and wont go away. The refresh button is your best friend when trying to work through a frustrating error. As of now though, I can't recommend to buy. Try the 60 day trial (it tells you how many days remain), assuming Apple gets everything fixed, things should be looking up.

V Diddy

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
i remember when looking up my push options, i only saw an option for my yahoo acct to be pushed.. not gmail.

if you want push, have it fetch for every 15 min. next best thing am i right?

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
i remember when looking up my push options, i only saw an option for my yahoo acct to be pushed.. not gmail.

if you want push, have it fetch for every 15 min. next best thing am i right?
Yes. Gmail is NOT push in any aspect. If you want push, use yahoo or me. MobileMe is awesome, especially for mac users. You get web hosting, push email, push calendar, push contacts, iDisk and syncing of multiple computers. In my opinion it's well worth the 99 dollars.

I use gmail because I like the conversation style that it presents. I just don't use the me account for mail, but I use the hell out of the other features. At the very least try it for 60 days. You'll be hooked.

Oh yes - you also get web gallery, and that's cool too.

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
Well, I use Gmail for push contacts, calendar, and email for free. MobileMe does the same thing, except for $99 a year.
Gmail aint push, it uses IMAP thats it. Mobileme and Yahoo is push; however Yahoo push sucks big time.

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
you can forward gmail to mail2web which pushes it to your iPhone instantly. theres a post on how to set it u in the software forum, im using it now, its great

chrissurra

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
I am using nuevasync, www.nuevasync.com..it pushes calendar and contacts Im using a mac so I have ical and address book sync every 15 min and my iPhone to sync every 15 min. Bes of all its free and they are working on an upgrade to have gmail become pushed too.

It does do true push but every 15 min is ok for me to save some battery life.