Go to AT&T!

iphonenotify

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Don't you think that maybe the At&t guy told you that so they could sell you an iPhone instead of Apple. I think they'll be activating right in the Apple store too. I can't see them making you go two places to activate your new $600 iPhone.
I just went to the Apple store and they said no one knew how to do any activating, not even the geniuses. No one has been trained yet. I als tolde them about the At&t thing for activation, and the guy said that was most likely going to occur.

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
Obviously neither AT&T nor Apple retail employees have been trained or told anything yet. Asking them questions about activation or data plans or anything else is pointless. At best they don't know and at worst they will make stuff up or tell you 'what they heard.'

About the only thing you can ask them today and get a reliable answer on are "Will you have the iPhone at this location?" and "What are your plans for launch day?" and even those two questions are iffy.

- SR

telePhono

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
cocoplum, fl
www.myspace.com
There is NO reason why Apple can not activate the phones in the Apple store right when you buy the phone.

I get phones activated and deactivated all the time. I control about 50 cell phones for the salespeople in my company. These guys are losing phones, losing sim chips (how?), or just plain breaking them all them time. I am constantly swapping numbers, getting new lines activated, turning old phones off, etc...

Granted I am not a cell store employee and this is all done through T-Mobile not Cingular/AT&T but this isn't rocket science. It can all be done remotely, over the air. I call up T-Mobile, explain the problem, and they zap whatever it is they need to zap, tell me to power cycle the phone and all is good with the world. The only time I have to actually go the T-Mobile store is when I need a new SIM card.

I am sure that Apple/AT&T has made the whole process as simple and as streamlined as possible. At least they better have. I suspect it will all be done via a special website that Apple employees willl have access to. AT&T employees will probably just follow whatever normal procedures they do for every other phone.

The only reason I can see for going to an AT&T store over an Apple store is if you have some weird plan issue that you think might be out of the ordinary, something AT&T employees may be familiar with while Apple sotre employees may not. Or if the AT&T store is an easier place to camp at. ;-)

- SR
yeah when you put it that way. i see why they most likely will be activating it there too.

Jun 20, 2007
The only answers I have are "yes, we will have iPhones" and "June 29th, 6pm" Officially, as an employee, that is all I know....
The sales people in our store are trying to figure out how Apple will activate phone service. We know nothing, they know nothing. Honestly, the training we have was based off of the guide throughs on Apples website! We will get answers to our questions and yours at "zero hour" as I affectionetly call it.

adamjohn_98

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
The only answers I have are "yes, we will have iPhones" and "June 29th, 6pm" Officially, as an employee, that is all I know....
The sales people in our store are trying to figure out how Apple will activate phone service. We know nothing, they know nothing. Honestly, the training we have was based off of the guide throughs on Apples website! We will get answers to our questions and yours at "zero hour" as I affectionetly call it.
That sounds like the training that the Apple Store employees were going through the other day. Thanks for the info, and keep us updated :laugh2:

Jun 20, 2007
I just found this website as I am looking for answers from someone OTHER than my boss! I have had customers come into the store and ask me questions such as "What is the processor?" and "What data plan?" which I couldn't even take an educated guess at! So, here I am, trying to educate myself.

adamjohn_98

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
I just found this website as I am looking for answers from someone OTHER than my boss! I have had customers come into the store and ask me questions such as "What is the processor?" and "What data plan?" which I couldn't even take an educated guess at! So, here I am, trying to educate myself.
That's awesome that you are taking the initiative to find out more info. Most of the other ATT employees that I have talked to couldn't care less, and they can't wait till this is all over.

Knowsall

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Ive heard that training starts 5 days before launch. was this not discussed. This would be at At and T and at Apple stores. Help me out?