Oct 8, 2008
ok thanks for the quick reply.. Always wondered what
the airplane mode was all about.

Thanks again.

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
If you are in airplane mode the phone features will not work EITHER. If you want the phone to make and receive calls (which can get expensive internationally) but do not want web browsing, email etc, go to settings, general, network and make sure "DATA ROAMING" is off.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
If you are in airplane mode the phone features will not work EITHER. If you want the phone to make and receive calls (which can get expensive internationally) but do not want web browsing, email etc, go to settings, general, network and make sure "DATA ROAMING" is off.
Airplane mode also shuts of WiFi...so you lose that too.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Not with the 3G. You can use Wifi in airplane mode; I do it all the time.
Actually, I think this is a function of the 2.X firmware, not the 3G iPhone specifically. With this firmware, I think even the first-generation iPhone can use wifi even while in Airplane Mode, but I'm not positive since I no longer have my V1 iPhone...

gkf9

Bronze
Oct 8, 2008
thanks everyone for your help.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Actually, I think this is a function of the 2.X firmware, not the 3G iPhone specifically. With this firmware, I think even the first-generation iPhone can use wifi even while in Airplane Mode, but I'm not positive since I no longer have my V1 iPhone...
You're probably right. I assumed the OP has the 3G...

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
This is correct. I was able to use wifi with my V1. What you had to do was turn wifi off,turn Airplane Mode on, and then turn wifi back on.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
Just make sure you don't take it out of airplane mode to early, my dumb ass did that last time I was in Canada and I got stuck paying about $12 for received text messages.