Going back to iPhone

Jul 8, 2011
Hi everyone I'm new here :). I used to have a Droid 2, which was my first smartphone. I loved it at first. It was a great phone up until I started having lock screen issues. I replaced it 3 times. I had that problem, problems with apps force closing, and the apps almost seemed like dumbed down versions of the iPhone apps. My wife and I about 3 weeks ago upgraded to the iPhone 4 and I don't think I'll ever turn back! I love it!

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Jul 8, 2011
I switched to the iPhone after having an Evo for over a year an haven't looked back since. The biggest complaint I heard from Android fanboys was how the iPhone is locked down. I don't care that it's locked down since there aren't any mods I want to make to it. Androids pretty much have to be rooted to improve them for daily use. I love how the iPhone just works without having to hack it. Welcome back to the garden!
Locked down or not, so far I'm liking the iPhone better than my Droid. I feel like it runs better and the apps are infinitely better.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
i know this is going to ruffle a few feathers but it seems to me like Apple is no longer the leader but the follower. i mean look at the new os it now has an Android like dropdown notifier and i hear swipe is also out for the iPhone. now i may be going out on a limb here. but i feel very safe in saying that i strongly believe that the new iPhone will have a bigger screen. and if my prediction comes true. well then i guess their will be a whole bunch of current iPhone users who have reached the end of the line. cause i do recall numrous iPhone folks swear that the will never go to a bigger screen.

p.s. ip5 told me to make this post..............................jk
How can you "go out on a limb" and "feel very safe in saying?" I like how the Samsung Galaxy S2 finally has a native screenshot function. It's really cool - you press the power and home buttons at the same time... Oh, wait...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i guess he feels safe in trees.

another tree hugger. they're everywhere.

theorioles33

Evangelist
Silver
Jul 21, 2007
USA
It's really cool - you press the power and home buttons at the same time... Oh, wait...
touché

I tell you, I've been on the Samsung Infuse for a couple weeks now and Android just seems inconsisent, buggy and almost BETA like. Apps work one day and not the next. Updates kill some of them. I think because of the many flavors of Android and hundreds of devices its running on, its hard to develop and app that "just works" on them all. Patiently waiting for September. :)

Badfishy

Contributor
Bronze
May 17, 2011
Houston, Texas
Interesting to read. I now work with a Verizon retailer. They are not fans of selling them because there's not a lot to be made. But I love my iPhone - and as nice as the Android phones are, have a hard time selling them sometimes.
This seems to be true in the retail stores as well. When I first switched from sprint to verizon and told the sales person I wanted an iPhone, he acted lime I was crazy and tried to convince me the Thunderbolt was superior. Boy was he wrong! Read the review on the TB lately? They did the same thing to my friend when he switched after falling in love with my iPhone. I guess there is a difference in the commission or incentives. Either way, it's not cool if they try to convince people to get one phone over the other, especially if the customers already know what they want!

theorioles33

Evangelist
Silver
Jul 21, 2007
USA
I don't like to bash Android but I have another fine example of why I prefer iOS. I was listening to music this morning using the built in music player. Works great! Just now trying to listen to the same few albums and its saying the music format is not supported! WTF?

Jul 8, 2011
I don't like to bash Android but I have another fine example of why I prefer iOS. I was listening to music this morning using the built in music player. Works great! Just now trying to listen to the same few albums and its saying the music format is not supported! WTF?
Are you talking about listening to those same albums on Android? If so I had that same problem. One day they would play and the next they wouldn't. I really couldn't tell you why

theorioles33

Evangelist
Silver
Jul 21, 2007
USA
Are you talking about listening to those same albums on Android? If so I had that same problem. One day they would play and the next they wouldn't. I really couldn't tell you why
Yes. I was listening on my Samsung Infuse earlier. Now they wont play. I rebooted and it works now but there are 2 of each song showing up. I haven't even messed with the phone. Stock Andoid 2.2. Android is not impressing me as of yet.

I think I will use my iPhone 1 as my MP3 player. Beats this one! :)

Syamil

Bronze
Jan 31, 2011
Singapore
Simply said, iPhones is the benchmark standard.

I used to have a Motorola Backflip, it runs on Android. I wouldn't say Android suck, but it's the apps that kills the Droid. The more apps u install the laggier it gets. It's a good phone though, my sister's using it with a cracked screen and it's still working.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ

I used to have a Motorola Backflip, it runs on Android. I wouldn't say Android suck, but it's the apps that kills the Droid. The more apps u install the laggier it gets. It's a good phone though, my sister's using it with a cracked screen and it's still working.
:rolleyes:

Sorry... I had to.

Jul 8, 2011

I used to have a Motorola Backflip, it runs on Android. I wouldn't say Android suck, but it's the apps that kills the Droid. The more apps u install the laggier it gets.
Not that it needs it but I 100% back this statement up. My Droid worked great out of the box but it seemed like as soon as I started downloading apps it got slow as hell and apps started freezing. It was extremely frustrating.

iByron

Bronze
Jan 17, 2011
Houston
I used Android and my biggest gripe was the force closing of apps, how Android let's the carrier put crapware on the phones and forget to leave me the option to uninstall them and how so many phones are running different versions like 2.1, 2.2, etc.

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
touché

I tell you, I've been on the Samsung Infuse for a couple weeks now and Android just seems inconsisent, buggy and almost BETA like. Apps work one day and not the next. Updates kill some of them. I think because of the many flavors of Android and hundreds of devices its running on, its hard to develop and app that "just works" on them all. Patiently waiting for September. :)
I see how that's true, my friend from work has the EVO and she will complain that all of a sudden Pandora doesn't work anymore, but some days i see she is using it okay, then shell complain again that it is just not working. I never said anything cause I didn't have that prob w/Pandora on my iPhone so i didn't know what to tell her, my apps don't all of a sudden stop working.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Not a fan of Moto currently, they keep promising unlocked units and keep releasing the nastiest locks. Been meaning to send them a tweet.

I looked at Verizon's phone choices and it seems to me the carrier is playing a big part. Too bad CDMAs can't cross carriers. You might have better luck shopping in India.

My DHD/Inspire has great battery life, comparable to the iPhone 4, and I've got that screenshot from the power button but yes I'm rooted/unlocked/free hotspot/cROM/cKernel. But to be consistent I generally pitched Droid as a good alternative to jailbreaks.

Swype is coming to iPhone? Pics or it's Apple marketing ;)

Is that music in AAC or MP3. If the former then please look to Apple for having left landmines instead of bashing Android.

What apps were you looking for from the market? What apps sucked?

PS, my RL is in a big transition at the moment so haven't been on much. Plus Android dominance is in so I figured I should have enough grace to leave threads like these to vent in peace. Secretly I'm hoping my silence puts Benny into a Nook Color. jk ;)

PPS, Chris, I've been finding that tapatalk has been struggling with the last two pages of any thread, randomly, here and in eA. I've rolled back one version to see if it was an app update (a nice feature on rooted Droids btw, you may say necessary but I've wanted it on the iPhone/iPod for how long now). Anyway I think it's the site or my Android.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Aug 1, 2007
Wow this thread has a lot of replies.. Let's just say I don't care about Android anymore and if something revolutionary and groundbreaking comes back to it, I may consider a better phone.. in maybe 2-3 YEARS LOL. I think the iPhone 4 will be good and run just fine on iOS 5 by it's final build. I'm just happy to be back!

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I've recent gripes with our iPhone4. Sending and receiving SMS from it is always delayed by minutes to hours. Thought it was just the network but then started having convo's between the DHD and some BBs that were all immediate. Unfortunately the iPhone 4 is JB'd and filling so buggyness has been on the rise in general.

Also we often catch it reporting either 3G/wifi connected but then having to flip the antennas on/off to really connect. Grrr WTH.

Also Safari dumps every so often.

At one point, Mindi, my wife, started getting the sad Apple regularly. I have her rebooting the thing every other day and it's been behaving for the last month.

Generally I figure it's coming on a year and assume it's that built in obsolescence that's part of Apple engineering sic marketing strategy. Heck, it's still our first iPhone and we count ourselves lucky having avoided the whole, it's bugged, it's bugged, it's bugged, ah, a keeper - purchase experience ;)

I might, just might, move her to a Droid next upgrade, making Ethan's iPod4 and my mom's iMac my remaining formal justification for eiC.

In all honesty, the big keeper for us is the iPhone 4 camera. Not that it takes better pics but that you never know what ROM I'm packing when the kids do something hilarious. One of us has to be packing a solid go to cam for such moments.

Really though, no other forum like eiC, despite my twisted preference in mobile OS. :D

Aug 1, 2007
I've recent gripes with our iPhone4. Sending and receiving SMS from it is always delayed by minutes to hours. Thought it was just the network but then started having convo's between the DHD and some BBs that were all immediate. Unfortunately the iPhone 4 is JB'd and filling so buggyness has been on the rise in general.

Also we often catch it reporting either 3G/wifi connected but then having to flip the antennas on/off to really connect. Grrr WTH.

Also Safari dumps every so often.

At one point, Mindi, my wife, started getting the sad Apple regularly. I have her rebooting the thing every other day and it's been behaving for the last month.

Generally I figure it's coming on a year and assume it's that built in obsolescence that's part of Apple engineering sic marketing strategy. Heck, it's still our first iPhone and we count ourselves lucky having avoided the whole, it's bugged, it's bugged, it's bugged, ah, a keeper - purchase experience ;)

I might, just might, move her to a Droid next upgrade, making Ethan's iPod4 and my mom's iMac my remaining formal justification for eiC. Really though, no other forum like eiC, despite my twisted preference in mobile OS. :D

I know what you mean by the 3G thing on the iPhone 4.. it always was a you know what. But my atrix i've had to do the same thing, i open the market *no data connection*, browser to watch youtube or even something simple *crash*, the typing on the keyboard is really really really annoying. i'm still not used to it. the apps suck, the screen is weird when viewing videos, the colors are sort of faded. i am done with Android and Motorola for now.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I know what you mean by the 3G thing on the iPhone 4.. it always was a you know what. But my atrix i've had to do the same thing, i open the market *no data connection*, browser to watch youtube or even something simple *crash*, the typing on the keyboard is really really really annoying. i'm still not used to it. the apps suck, the screen is weird when viewing videos, the colors are sort of faded. i am done with Android and Motorola for now.

Yeah, sorry you had such a bad intro with the Atrix. Actually, I picked up the Atrix for a week prior to my DHD. My hope was to finally rock dual core and I do like the tighter/lighter build look in the Atrix. But it was locked tight and not available on my carrier.

As for the keyboard, I love Swype but also have Swiftkey, Thumb Keyboard and this

uploadfromtaptalk1310211877483.png

It is important to find the right Droid vs the easier choices with Apple. And I hope you didn't think that Motoblur is the Android UI.