Going commando? No protection, just iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ipod classic

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
What do you guys think? Should i just leave my iPhone as is and forget about covers and etc.? i mean the way i think of it is, its made to be the way it is for a reason. the looks and styling. and i think this phone can take drops. and its not like keeping the phone mint and selling it later when the new iPhone comes out is gonna make muc of a price difference, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

webb

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Southern NJ, USA
Put a cover on it. If your worried about styling, use a Bodyguardz or any other thin plastic film to protect the thing. Resale value aside, you'll want the phone to look good for as long as possible otherwise you'll be disappointed in its appearance in the long run.

FW

kingp

Aug 22, 2007
Spend the 40 bucks for the iskin case, I had the cheap 20 dollar leather case the AT&T store sells, and now this iskin one, and this iskin case compliments this phone so nicely. Not to sure about screen covers tho, i never had or used one, had one on my psp but dunno how well it actually protected, the bubbles always kinda bug me. I always pocket my iPhone, with keys and all, but I have no problems so far.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
I go nekkid bc I don't want something bulging in my pocket, neither do i want something that makes it harder to pull out.

And I'm broke now so...

I'll probably get one eventually, just not atm.

ipod classic

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
Put a cover on it. If your worried about styling, use a Bodyguardz or any other thin plastic film to protect the thing. Resale value aside, you'll want the phone to look good for as long as possible otherwise you'll be disappointed in its appearance in the long run.

FW
well when you put it that way. dammit! time to shop for covers now

ipod classic

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
Spend the 40 bucks for the iskin case, I had the cheap 20 dollar leather case the AT&T store sells, and now this iskin one, and this iskin case compliments this phone so nicely. Not to sure about screen covers tho, i never had or used one, had one on my psp but dunno how well it actually protected, the bubbles always kinda bug me. I always pocket my iPhone, with keys and all, but I have no problems so far.

i'm going for the sport mareware brand and body guardz. what do you guys think of marware? i heard the body guardz skin protection feels funny. true?

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
I dunno. Tried the bodyguardz and hated it - all rubbery and distorted. Just got the anti-glare screen cover from the Apple store this weekend and am somewhat ok with it. At least it feels like plastic and not rubber. Still makes the screen slightly 'glittery' when viewing a white background, especially in a darkened room. I love the feel and clarity of the naked glass, but the amount of finger-gunk that builds up looks pretty nasty after a short while. And I worry a lil about scratches, although nothing notable yet.

Have a leather case but only use it when traveling when I figure I'm more likely to drop it.

Naked is best. It's not like it's an heirloom you have to make last forever. In a year you'll have or want something else (iPhone2...)

iGal

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
SoCal
I suppose it's a personal choice but I keep mine naked too :)
Mine too... well, nearly naked. I have the screen film, but more for the no-smudges-smooth-finger-sliding than the scratch protection. My chrome has some scratches, but nowhere else. Mine's been nakie since 7/7/07 :laugh2:

diesel

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
NYC
if i could i would let my iPhone go commando as well, but since i'm in nyc and i take a lot of cabs.........by having no case, the iPhone is slippery as heck and i have lost many a cell phone in the cab when they slide out of my pocket and i'm too damn drunk to notice that i left it behind in the cab. with the iskin case on the iPhone, it is nearly impossible for the phone to slide out of my pocket now......................

that is why my iPhone will not go commando

mrgisriel

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
I go with out a cover as i think with normal use it should hold up to wear. I also don't like a bulging in my pocket.

Derek Gisriel

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
Naked is definitely the way to go!
On Iday, I purchased a black leather case for the iPhone. I used it for about 24 hours and then realized how much better it was to carry a naked iPhone.

To each his own!

hot_mamma311

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Chicago
I prefer my iPhone naked too :) never bought a case and don't plan on it, although I have seen some very neat looking skins with leopard print or abstract that looked very cool so I am considering that. I bought one for my razr and it came off without leaving a sticky residue behind.

ipod classic

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
I go with out a cover as i think with normal use it should hold up to wear. I also don't like a bulging in my pocket.

Derek Gisriel

what about an accidental drop? that my real concern. how much would it cost to replace a screen? can you get an accidental plan and how much? and since were on the subject on plans, how late can i purchase an Apple care plan and how much, can i still get one? i've had my phone a week now, think an Apple care plan is worth it? thanks

Jul 15, 2007
www.submissiveophelia.com
what do u guys think? should i just leave my iPhone as is and forget about covers and etc.? i mean the way i think of it is, its made to be the way it is for a reason. the looks and styling. and i think this phone can take drops. and its not like keeping the phone mint and selling it later when the new iPhone comes out is gonna make muc of a price difference, right?

i use this case: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=DD7348D9&nplm=TN558LL/A

I really like it. Some people gave it bad reviews for the velcro pieces and some other stuff, but it has worked great for me. i also like the way it looks!
i like having my phone in a case to protect it.

ipod classic

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007

Derek Gisriel
same here man. I would really hate to have a buldge in my pocket. I mean its enough that i already have to deal with the buldge in between my front pockets.:(

macrat

Jul 15, 2007
I used the expensive Vaja leather case for three weeks. It looked good but when I removed the iPhone from the case, I immediately realized that the iPhone is just awesome looking naked. So I gave the Vaja case to my son.

iPhone cases, remind me of luxury sport cars that their owners install the hood bra, carpet stuff to cover their dashboards, and fake fur to cover their luxury leather seats :mad:

Attachments

oldskool

Sep 23, 2007
mine is naked once if find a flim protector for the screen i'll use that... I am terriefied of loosing my phone aswell. so i alway make sure to put it in a front pocket that is hopefully deep.

vicknik

Sep 26, 2007
I learned an important lesson within the first week after I bought my phone and scratched it with the keys in my pocket... protect the screen!

For that matter, I will not make the same mistake when it comes to losing it.. which is why I strongly recommend http://ifoundyouriPhone.com which is a FREE preventive service protecting owners against losing their iPhones!

Also, I should mention that I am wary of these hacks... although it is hard to not indulge, it just seems too risky right now.

Really wish Apple could figure out a way to let people run managed code - the web 2.0 thing is too restrictive...