Going from Apple to Windows

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
I need help as my daughter is changing from a Mac laptop to a Windows laptop and she has a 500 GB portable hard drive. So what do I need to do to move or transfer her iTunes library library from her Macbook Pro to the protable hard drive and then to the Windows laptop?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Crap this ain't as easy as I thought since I cant back up pictures, music, and documents to her external hard drive because it is formatted for Windows! If I format it for Mac and load it up then it won't transfer to her Windows laptop.
Any ideas how to get her photos, and music from the Mac to the Windows PC.?

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Thanks, I've got the backup downloading to her Acer laptop and tomorrow I will try to setup her iPad on the Acer. I know that iTunes is going to warn me that the iPad has been sunk to another library and that if I sync it to the Acer it will erase everything on the ipad.
Any tips here?

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
Copy your library from your Mac to the exFat external drive file. When you set up iTunes on the Windows machine just direct it to that same library by holding the shift key when you start iTunes so it will ask you which library you want to direct it to. I have my Windows and Mac iTunes both directed to the same library on my external drive. As long as it is the same library file it won't ask you whether you want to erase it or not. It will recognize it as the same library as you previously had, which it is. I am probably not being very clear, but remember that the library and media files are two different things.

Sent Using iCafe App

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Can you format her external drive to FAT32? Anything smaller than 2Gb should write to that.
It's 4gb :p

Copy your library from your Mac to the exFat external drive file. When you set up iTunes on the Windows machine just direct it to that same library by holding the shift key when you start iTunes so it will ask you which library you want to direct it to. I have my Windows and Mac iTunes both directed to the same library on my external drive. As long as it is the same library file it won't ask you whether you want to erase it or not. It will recognize it as the same library as you previously had, which it is. I am probably not being very clear, but remember that the library and media files are two different things.

Sent Using iCafe App
Lon's provided a really good answer there, I had to do this when migrating my files from my MBP onto my Windows server. As long as the files are put it in the correct place it sort of does everything for you. exFat is the best option... if not you'll end up paying out for software for the Windows machine which is able to read/write to different formats.

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
What does everybody do when they have an unexpected hard drive or computer failure and they aren't able to copy the iTunes library? Surely this happens frequently. I ask because I've already copied all of her photos and music and I'm scared if I copy her iTunes library I'll be double copying those 45 gigs worth of items!

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
What does everybody do when they have an unexpected hard drive or computer failure and they aren't able to copy the iTunes library? Surely this happens frequently. I ask because I've already copied all of her photos and music and I'm scared if I copy her iTunes library I'll be double copying those 45 gigs worth of items!
A simpler way of copying the music (as long as it's all imported into iTunes) would have been to copy the main iTunes folder: it's got everything in it i.e Album Artwork, lyrics, songs and videos etc. Then you can copy it directly to the new/other machine and import it into iTunes.

If you copy the iTunes folder you're technically copying the music twice.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
A Time Machine or Windows backup would come in handy there. As far as moving everything over to the new computer, this tutorial that acosmichippo wrote is very helpful:
http://forums.everythingicafe.com/t...o-a-new-itunes-library-look-here-first.37178/

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Just make sure you go through the steps in the link that I posted. Just curious, why is she going from a MacBook to an Acer? On a side note, none of this is necessary when you go from a Mac to a Mac. You just plug in your Time Machine HD when you set up the new computer and it copies everything over. You can sync your phone as soon as it boots the first time it boots (because it will copy everything, including the iTunes library, over the first time you power it on). The ease of not having to to do any setup when you get a new computer saves a lot of time and is pretty nice.