Going illegal

Judex

Bronze
Jan 13, 2009
Mauritius
On 19th December 2008, I bought an iPhone 3G 16 gigs. To this day, 24th February 2009, the Apple Stores are still not yet accessible. I wonder why Apple Stores and the Mauritius Telecom/ORANGE have not resolved this issue.

So, can I go illegal, can I jailbreak my iPhone ? I know I shouldn't, but can't wait anymore ! Without applications my iPhone looks like a stupid phone.

Has Someone ever jailbroken his iPhone ? What are the risks ?

Thanks,
Judex.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Not sure what you mean by the Apple store is not available. Are you talking about the App Store in iTunes and on your phone? That shouldn't be an issue, regardless of the carrier (well, if there is a problem with data usage, then the carrier might put a restriction on how much data you can pull a month), but as far as iTunes is concerned, you should be able to download what you want, free or not, and then transfer it to your phone through the Sync process.
As far as Jailbreaking, the risk is up to you. There are plenty of people that are jailbroken and are fine. But there are also a bunch of people that are having issues, if not catastrophies with their phones trying to jailbreak them. I can guess that a lot of them are not sure what they are doing, and screwed something up.
My suggestion is for your first issue with the App store, call Apple. they handle the app store and they will be the ones to assist you with fixing any problems reaching the apps store.
As far as JBing, research, research, research, before attempting anything.

Judex

Bronze
Jan 13, 2009
Mauritius
Hi Hawk,

Thank you for your post.

I mean no one from Mauritius could buy applications from Apple Stores because Mauritius is not in the list of Countries at Apple Stores.

Yes, I understand that jailbreaking could be a problem. Thanks to point this out to me.

I have complained to Apple, but I did not receive any reply. IF Apple agreed to sell iPhones to Mauritius, I wonder why Apple does not allow the purchase of applications.

Hawk, thanks again.

Cheers,
Judex.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
But you have an Orange account and bought your phone legally, right?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Yes, but apparently from what I am getting from him is that his Country is "up in the air" right now, and if iTunes is identifying him in that country and blocking his access, that is some thing he should be talking to Apple about. Expecially if he bought a phone and plan legally.
His country is a little tiny island off the coast of Madagascar

Judex

Bronze
Jan 13, 2009
Mauritius
Hi Hawk,

Yes, I have a 2 year package with Mauritius Telecom/ORANGE since 19th December 2008. This is why I am at a loss to understand why Apple does not list Mauritius in their list of Countries so as to enable Mauritius Owners of iPhone to buy the applications from Apple Stores.

I confirm that I legally bought my iPhone from Mauritius Telecom/ORANGE.

I complained in the "Apple feedback". Please let me know the official Apple mail address so that I may send in another complaint.

Thank you Hawk.

Cheers,
Judex.

Judex

Bronze
Jan 13, 2009
Mauritius
Hi Hawk,

Yes, I have a 2 year package with Mauritius Telecom/ORANGE since 19th December 2008. This is why I am at a loss to understand why Apple does not list Mauritius in their list of Countries so as to enable Mauritius Owners of iPhone to buy the applications from Apple Stores.

I confirm that I legally bought my iPhone from Mauritius Telecom/ORANGE.

I complained in the "Apple feedback". Please let me know the official Apple mail address so that I may send in another complaint.

Thank you Hawk.

Cheers,
Judex.

Judex

Bronze
Jan 13, 2009
Mauritius
Hi Londonrockz568,

Thank you for your post.

I do not know the risk of jailbreaking my iPhone. Please let me have further details.

Thank you.
Judex.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Judex, are you saying that you can't open an iTunes account, which would mean you also can't purchase songs?
He's saying that he cannot get to the App store. Something is wrong there. If he had an iPod Touch, he'd be fine.
I would call Apple Support and get this straightened out. There is no reason for you to suffer if you legitimately bought your phone and have a valid contract.

Judex

Bronze
Jan 13, 2009
Mauritius
Dear afireinside904,

Thank you for your post and the link. It makes very interesting reading indeed.

I will continue to explore the possibilities. From where could I purchase an application to enable me to store Excel 2007, Word 2007 and Adobe pdf files in my iPhone ?

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,
Judex.

Judex

Bronze
Jan 13, 2009
Mauritius
Hi Coasts,

Yes, this is correct ! All Mauritius iPhone Owners cannot open an account and so cannot purchase songs and applications !

This is commercially stupid to sell iPhones to Mauritius and nothing else can be done with it. I imagine a Man selling a new Brand of cars and later says : "No spareparts stores are available !"

Can you help ? Thank you.

Cheers,
Judex.

Judex

Bronze
Jan 13, 2009
Mauritius
Thank you Hawk.

I confirm that I legally bought the iPhone on 19th December 2008 at Mauritius Telecom/ORANGE.

Again thanks a lot for your help.

Cheers,
Judex.

Judex

Bronze
Jan 13, 2009
Mauritius
Hi afireinside904,

I downloaded the software, but it appears that Windows Vista cannot open it ! Is it a software that runs under Mac only ?

Is there a "quickpwn22" that runs under windows vista ?

Thanks to help.

Cheers,
Judex

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
Hi Coasts,

Yes, this is correct ! All Mauritius iPhone Owners cannot open an account and so cannot purchase songs and applications !

This is commercially stupid to sell iPhones to Mauritius and nothing else can be done with it. I imagine a Man selling a new Brand of cars and later says : "No spareparts stores are available !"

Can you help ? Thank you.

Cheers,
Judex.
Well, you need to have a credit card and local address of a country for which an iTunes store is available. Do you have any friends living in the U.S. or England? If so, you could ask that they buy a prepaid Credit Card (such as http://www.simon.com/giftcard/), register it to a fake address and open an account with that. Of course, your purchasing abilities would be limited to the prepaid amount, but at least you would have access to the hundreds of free apps and podcasts.

Judex

Bronze
Jan 13, 2009
Mauritius
Hi Coasts,

This is a good idea !

I really need to buy some applications that will be useful to me.

Thinking to jailbreak my iPhone. I downloaded quickpwn22 but it does not open under windows vista. I think it needs the Mac OS. If I get a software to jailbreak, but working under windows, I will be very happy !

Thank you again for your help.

Cheers,
Judex.

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
There are very few risks to jailbreaking your iPhone. As long as you follow the instructions in QuickPWN or whatever you are using, you'll be good.

AND JAILBREAKING ISN'T ILLEGAL! GEEZ!