Going Out Of The Country Questions Regarding iMessage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vdub337, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Vdub337

Vdub337 Member

Hi,
    I currently live in Canada, heading out to the states next week. While down there I plan to message a few people, how can I use IMessage through wifi without getting charged roaming fee for my network?

I know how to turn off data roaming, but I'm talking about cellular network roaming.

Thanks.

2. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Data roaming is cellular network roaming, so when you turn it off you are safe. You could also put your phone in airplane mode and then manually restart WiFi, but then you won't be able to use it as a phone either.

3. Vdub337

Vdub337 Member

Oh, I thought if it shows AT&T at the top left rather than Rogers, I am using their network. If I can recall, Rogers did charge me with some roaming fee when I went there a while back.

Any possible way to have it read no service at the top but yet have my SIM card in (for iMessage purposes) and connected to wifi? I just don't want someone text messaging or calling while I'm down there and have to pay for it.

4. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

As I mentioned before, put your phone in Airplane mode and manually turn WiFi back on.

5. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

Do the airplane mode trick but to be safe.... turn off the first 2 that I have ON to OFF

Like this.....

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1357869623.570163.jpg

I know its a little off topic but I used aviary to draw on that pic anyone know of a pic editong app that draws better without zooming in?

Sent using iCafe app