Going standby with paused video always locks up my iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

redgold

Aug 12, 2007
Hello everybody,

I bought an iPhone 2 weeks ago. I updated my iPhone to the 1.0.1 software. It has been working without a flaw. Now, I have a problem with video playback.
Let alone the iPhone for a while when video is in pause, then the iPhone does not repond anymore. I resorted to reset to escape this lockup state. This always happens. I tried the contents bought from the iTunes and also encoded by myself.
I am not sure if this is happening after update. I am afraid that I am alone with this problem. Would you tell me if you have the same problem and what should I do for this?
This is the steps to reproduce it.
1. start video
2. pause video
3. leave the device for a while (a minute or two would be enough)
The device screen turns off and goes standby mode.
4. Try to wake up the device. Boom! The device does not respond anymore.
5. have to reset the device by pressing the sleep/wake and home buttons for about 8 secs.

redgold

Aug 12, 2007
After a long wait for response, I am frustrated.
I think I am an only one who has this problem.
I am going to the Apple store to check this issue.
I hope I could get a replacement.

What an annoying after a few weeks great experience with iPhone!:(

redgold

Aug 12, 2007
I am still alone with regard to this problem.
I went to the Apple store and got a replacement.

It worked flawlessly. The version is 1.0.
I am not sure if this problem is from 1.0.1.

Another notice after I got a new one. The lcd looks more vibrant.
:laugh2:

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Man that sux! I hate buying a new device like this, using it for 2-3 weeks, getting attached, loving every minute, then BAM! You end up having something just stop working period. How frustrating!

Good luck with your replacement.

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
One thing I would do, is go into settings, safari, clear the cache, history, etc. and power cycle the phone. Then see if you can reproduce the problem. I don't think ive ever had that happen to me. Oh.. also go into safari and make sure you don't have a lot of windows open.

Hope it helps if you haven't tried that yet!
:cool:

redgold

Aug 12, 2007
My replacement seems to be working correctly up to this time.
The genius guy in the Apple store replaced my device right away after reproduction of this problem. I am not quite sure if this is related to hardware.

Actually I am very suspicious about the firmware update 1.0.1.
I am going to stick to the 1.0, the original version shipped with iPhone, for a while.

Jul 29, 2007
My replacement seems to be working correctly up to this time.
The genius guy in the Apple store replaced my device right away after reproduction of this problem. I am not quite sure if this is related to hardware.

Actually I am very suspicious about the firmware update 1.0.1.
I am going to stick to the 1.0, the original version shipped with iPhone, for a while.

I had this problem prior to the firmware update and after the firmware update, but only when using the video playback under the iPod function. Has happened pretty much since day 1. I just put up with it. Not worth the effort to return it, just make sure if pause video playback, go back to 'home' screen.

Craig

redgold

Aug 12, 2007
I recognized this issue about 2 weeks after I bought an iPhone.
I was really frustrated.

I agree with you that this can be a minor issue.
But I think I paid $600 to this shiny phone and it should be perfect.

You pay $600 and you deserve service worth $600.

Jul 29, 2007
But even if you bought a $6000 phone it won't be perfect. Nothing is. We went into this knowing it was a brand new product with known and unknown bugs and problems. The key is, can it be dealt with or put up with.
Craig