Going through a rough patch , stress and anxiety

Oct 5, 2010
Ireland,UK
Hi guys , going through a rough patch with stress and anxiety as of late and feels easier to talk to you all over this rather than by friends in real life. I'll give you the short story , it all started when I went on an ambulance from a fast hart rate and later sent home (was about 125bpm) this all died down after about 2 days or do but I kept getting paranoid of the thought of going back and kept convincing myself I was sick even at the smallest thing ,also having panic attacks and seriously bad headaches and feeling like I can't control my emotions and well as feeling depressed . I know this isn't really the forum for this but feel sometimes this is a comfortable place for me with people with the same interests , has any of you ever experienced anything with anxiety and stress and how did you all deal with it? Any help or advice would be great , cheers

-Spencer-
www.twitter.com/Spencer7077

Johnwolves

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Sorry to hear about your stress. I haven't suffered with this myself but I'm more than happy to lend an ear for you to talk to me if it will help you

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I have a constant struggle with stress and anxiety. There are good days and bad days...

Bad days, of course, I'm basically shut down and completely useless to myself and anyone who depends on me. I escape somewhere, like music, or podcasts, or games, and I ignore my obligations.

I would have to say the good days are the ones where I somehow break through the fog and do something useful or productive. That feels pretty good. I don't know how I break through it, otherwise I wouldn't have the bad days anymore.

Definitely talk about it with people you know, as well as with people who are in similar/stressful situations. A shared experience has a mysterious way of helping carry the burden, even if only temporarily. If it's people that depend on you that are part of the stress, they especially should know that you are going through a rough patch, so that they might carry their own weight for a bit.

Santa

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado, USA
Heart sh..t is very scary. It's hard to break out of a scare like that.

Although I'm not a big fan of drugs, it really might be worth considering getting some anti-anxiety meds. I had a good friend who had a heart attack, and afterwards, couldn't sleep because he was scared he wouldn't wake up. Medicine was the only thing that really broke him out of the "too scared to sleep" cycle.

And yes. Talk with friends. It's hard, but in the end very helpful. Even, dare I say it: a therapist if your insurance or pocket book can handle it.

Hang in there.

Oct 5, 2010
Ireland,UK
Sorry to hear about your stress. I haven't suffered with this myself but I'm more than happy to lend an ear for you to talk to me if it will help you

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
cheers mate might do that if I take a turn for the worst !

-Spencer-

Oct 5, 2010
Ireland,UK
I have a constant struggle with stress and anxiety. There are good days and bad days...

Bad days, of course, I'm basically shut down and completely useless to myself and anyone who depends on me. I escape somewhere, like music, or podcasts, or games, and I ignore my obligations.

I would have to say the good days are the ones where I somehow break through the fog and do something useful or productive. That feels pretty good. I don't know how I break through it, otherwise I wouldn't have the bad days anymore.

Definitely talk about it with people you know, as well as with people who are in similar/stressful situations. A shared experience has a mysterious way of helping carry the burden, even if only temporarily. If it's people that depend on you that are part of the stress, they especially should know that you are going through a rough patch, so that they might carry their own weight for a bit.
nice to know that someone else has the same sort of feelings and I'm not alone, I went to the doctors and going to go to councling which think will be best , as a lad I guess I'm just wired not to show emotion or talk about it so I just bottle it up, have you ever had any help with your problem? , I can compare with your case because I get days when I'm down and then days when I feel I can take on the world. Do you get headaches and panic attacks?

-Spencer-

Oct 5, 2010
Ireland,UK
Heart sh..t is very scary. It's hard to break out of a scare like that.

Although I'm not a big fan of drugs, it really might be worth considering getting some anti-anxiety meds. I had a good friend who had a heart attack, and afterwards, couldn't sleep because he was scared he wouldn't wake up. Medicine was the only thing that really broke him out of the "too scared to sleep" cycle.

And yes. Talk with friends. It's hard, but in the end very helpful. Even, dare I say it: a therapist if your insurance or pocket book can handle it.

Hang in there.
yeah I think the ordeal has shaken me from being a confident lad to one that any face going on nights out , went to the doctors because my heart was to fast and he called a ambulance to take me to the hospital then was put on a emergency list in the emergency room and still took like 3 hours to get looked at ....going to stay off the drug side of things would only go for last resort after trying every thing else , going to councling / syciatrist in a few weeks to get to the route of the problem. My sleeping is fine but stress level is high.

-Spencer-

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
nice to know that someone else has the same sort of feelings and I'm not alone, I went to the doctors and going to go to councling which think will be best , as a lad I guess I'm just wired not to show emotion or talk about it so I just bottle it up, have you ever had any help with your problem? , I can compare with your case because I get days when I'm down and then days when I feel I can take on the world. Do you get headaches and panic attacks?
Headaches, panic attacks, palpitations, just about everything short of a full blown heart attack. It's very scary.

I've seen a doctor and a therapist about it before, and I was prescribed both antidepressants and acute anxiety medication - the latter to take only as needed. I eventually got off the antidepressants, but still use the other stuff every now and then for severe anxiety. A shot of jager also takes the edge off ;), but I don't recommend combining depression with a depressant on a regular basis.

Exercise is also a great way to vent your stress and get your body producing all the things that uplift your mood.

If you're a podcast kinda guy, I highly recommend the ZEN and TECH podcast. Listen to it from the beginning.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
Well there we are ! 2012 seems like it's cursed.
I do feel like you. I believe it is bid different for males then females. While there is a lot of pressure for men to be the provider(not always there are all sorts of families).
Most stress is brought on by things we lost controll off.
You are lucky you got friends (other then online)
In my case I am mostly lonely. We have moved so many times that I never made close enough bonds. I have no friends. No family (besides I call my mom). My husband has no family. I got my hubby and son. He works and son is in school. I talk to the dogs .
Our last move also put a big strain on finances which adds even more stress and uncertainty.
Anyway I was offered so many times zoloft and who knows what? I refuse. A Dr always seem to think, medication will make it better. I am not against it. if it helps you to help yourself but not to shadow your feelings.
Anyways I am strong willed and that is what saves me I think.

I started to live by rules. (I even had reminders set on my iPhone)
And for working people it may just not be that simple.
I make myself get dressed every day (yeah not that easy if ya have no place to go)
I make up the bed everyday (so I won't go back and lay down)
I drink 1 cup of coffee
I walk the dogs matter what! Rain or shine, hot or cold.
I go some place where there is people (I usually buy a banana)
I try (see the try here) to eat healthy (banana is my breakfast)
Those are my must do rules! They keep me sane!
By the way I am not dressed yet (I walked my dogs in PJ's)

Otherwise I have Monday (only) cleaning house rule.
Keeps me busy but also I run into getting to OCD (I had a phase a few years back that was really bad)
I keep myself busy with housework mostly and that is my escape.

Strangest thing is when I finally interact with someone (not my husband or son) I feel like really out of place.

I guess what I try to say is:
We get anxiety because we feel like we have no control over what is happening to us.
To get back to somewhat normal we add things we can control (it may be so simple as taking a shower)
Slowly we find our way back to normal.
If we can't do this, we need help !

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
The thing about medication is that sometimes you actually do need it to help combat a chemical imbalance, which can be stress-induced or hereditary. It isn't always a question of willpower, sometimes it is a physical condition in your brain that is causing things to misfire, leading to anxiety and depression, which ONLY medication can solve (until you have it under your own control). That's how it was for me, so that's the only reason I went with the medication. Otherwise, I'm just like you, I want to avoid it at all costs.

Santa

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado, USA
The thing about medication is that sometimes you actually do need it to help combat a chemical imbalance, which can be stress-induced or hereditary. It isn't always a question of willpower, sometimes it is a physical condition in your brain that is causing things to misfire, leading to anxiety and depression, which ONLY medication can solve (until you have it under your own control). That's how it was for me, so that's the only reason I went with the medication. Otherwise, I'm just like you, I want to avoid it at all costs.
I agree. I mentioned meds because I've seen in myself and others: the ability for them to help you dig out of the hole a little so you can maintain yourself. For most of us, they're a short term tool to help us get out of a particularly bad spot.

I've also seen them horribly abused and depended on.

I've also seen them effectively used long term by friends with severe bio-chemical imbalances.

They're a tool. You just need to be careful how you use them. And you also need to understand they aren't the solution, just an aid.

Oct 5, 2010
Ireland,UK
Headaches, panic attacks, palpitations, just about everything short of a full blown heart attack. It's very scary.

I've seen a doctor and a therapist about it before, and I was prescribed both antidepressants and acute anxiety medication - the latter to take only as needed. I eventually got off the antidepressants, but still use the other stuff every now and then for severe anxiety. A shot of jager also takes the edge off ;), but I don't recommend combining depression with a depressant on a regular basis.

Exercise is also a great way to vent your stress and get your body producing all the things that uplift your mood.

If you're a podcast kinda guy, I highly recommend the ZEN and TECH podcast. Listen to it from the beginning.
yeah mate it is! Haha might take the jäger part into consideration ;) lol , I think the main thing is just to stay calm think positive thoughts and not let it win ....ya know fight it instead of letting it feed off the negative flow in your body.

Yeah I hear exercise is good , going to start going to the gym and get a few more hobbies under my belt , anything that helps detract my brain ....have you found any good techniques to deal with any of it?

Not really the podcast guy (unless I hold a strong interest to their discussion) , but I do like music so might give it a go next time , cheers :D

-Spencer-

Oct 5, 2010
Ireland,UK
Well there we are ! 2012 seems like it's cursed.
I do feel like you. I believe it is bid different for males then females. While there is a lot of pressure for men to be the provider(not always there are all sorts of families).
Most stress is brought on by things we lost controll off.
You are lucky you got friends (other then online)
In my case I am mostly lonely. We have moved so many times that I never made close enough bonds. I have no friends. No family (besides I call my mom). My husband has no family. I got my hubby and son. He works and son is in school. I talk to the dogs .
Our last move also put a big strain on finances which adds even more stress and uncertainty.
Anyway I was offered so many times zoloft and who knows what? I refuse. A Dr always seem to think, medication will make it better. I am not against it. if it helps you to help yourself but not to shadow your feelings.
Anyways I am strong willed and that is what saves me I think.

I started to live by rules. (I even had reminders set on my iPhone)
And for working people it may just not be that simple.
I make myself get dressed every day (yeah not that easy if ya have no place to go)
I make up the bed everyday (so I won't go back and lay down)
I drink 1 cup of coffee
I walk the dogs matter what! Rain or shine, hot or cold.
I go some place where there is people (I usually buy a banana)
I try (see the try here) to eat healthy (banana is my breakfast)
Those are my must do rules! They keep me sane!
By the way I am not dressed yet (I walked my dogs in PJ's)

Otherwise I have Monday (only) cleaning house rule.
Keeps me busy but also I run into getting to OCD (I had a phase a few years back that was really bad)
I keep myself busy with housework mostly and that is my escape.

Strangest thing is when I finally interact with someone (not my husband or son) I feel like really out of place.

I guess what I try to say is:
We get anxiety because we feel like we have no control over what is happening to us.
To get back to somewhat normal we add things we can control (it may be so simple as taking a shower)
Slowly we find our way back to normal.
If we can't do this, we need help !
I think your right panic attack are their because you feel that you're no longer in control of the situation and your mind predicts every possible outcome of what could happen in a scenario and it's down to yourself to stop that.

Looking at your situation do you have anything that could keep you busy eg, making a blog , or another option could be to join a group and try and make friends from here .

Not trying to be blunt but on this your 99% of the time only going to find online friends who you won't physically see and the other 1% of the time could be the sort of people you don't want to meet lol

Everyone needs a reason in life and I believe you need to make your mind think you have plans to help control yourself .

-Spencer-

Ozzie5374

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Country South Australia
You're ringing lots of bells, mate! You're spot on. I go over and over stuff in my head - its like all the possible scenarios are being played out in front of me. Man that really messes with me. This is an on-going thing with me for the last 22 years since being hung out to dry in a bad car accident. That left me with this feeling of hopelessness and of having no control in my life - like the piece of drift wood on the beach. It can sneak up without warning, not make any sense and throw me for six. Usually much later I can look back and see triggers. What works for me, and I'm embarking on one now, is to make a plan, stick to it regardless of time frame ( there will be road blockages ahead but I'll get around them eventually) and just, as the ad says, just do it! Life's too short.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Ugh man I am truly sorry to hear that and I hope you can overcome this as soon as possible. I've never really had serious anxiety or stress, but talking to family, close friends, and beloved ones usually calms me down and I get really nice tips and advice from people more experienced than me at this.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
Not trying to be blunt but on this your 99% of the time only going to find online friends who you won't physically see and the other 1% of the time could be the sort of people you don't want to meet lol
I learned my lesson ON EIC actually
You forget we have been moving a lot and are new here.
But overall I got so many time disappointed and I just really am rather don't anymore.
I try that should count? Like last nights PTA meeting, I felt out of place and like people are looking at me as if I was from Mars.

Anyway I am going to walk my dogs now.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I'll never forget when I failed the first year of college and got expelled from it and posted my problem here, and I can truly say that I received the very best advice I've ever gotten from anyone on EIC. They truly inspired me and made me want to become a better student, and I thankfully did. I'll also never forget how a lot of EICians helped me through the journey of giving up smoking, and how some members actually decided to try that as well. I truly am thankful and grateful to be a member of EIC for such a long time now, and I feel like we're not only online buddies, but a virtual family, if that's the right choice of words, and I truly believe it is a privilege rather than a right. Thank you, guys!

Santa

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado, USA
Yeah I hear exercise is good , going to start going to the gym and get a few more hobbies under my belt , anything that helps detract my brain ....have you found any good techniques to deal with any of it?
Another vote for exercise. It helps me a lot. It both helps ground me into a routine, and helps clear the head.