Going to Italy for 2 weeks any suggestions with iPhone plan?

NickT916

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
anyone know what's the best way to go with ATT and iPhone in Italy? I won't be really using the phone for txting or calling, do if someone txts me from USA or calls me will I be charged?

I would mostly use it for map, that would be really useful there since I never been there before, nor fo I know to speak any Italian, Italian iPhone aps will be handy also,

tethering the laptop would be nice too, but data price will probably be insane?

any suggestions from your experience or help will be awesome :)

ct2k7

Bronze
Jul 7, 2009
Get Roaming, and ensure data roaming is applied to your account.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
anyone know what's the best way to go with ATT and iPhone in Italy? I won't be really using the phone for txting or calling, do if someone txts me from USA or calls me will I be charged?

I would mostly use it for map, that would be really useful there since I never been there before, nor fo I know to speak any Italian, Italian iPhone aps will be handy also,

tethering the laptop would be nice too, but data price will probably be insane?

any suggestions from your experience or help will be awesome :)
AT&T charges almost 20.00 per mb for International roaming. You might want to talk to AT&T to get an unlock code so you can use a prepaid sim card once in country or you are going to get a HUGE (and I do mean huge) bill when you get back. Mark

UPDATE: Sorry I forgot AT&T will not give you an unlock code (like other cell providers do) for the iPhone to travel abroad. AT&T wants you to buy an International Roaming Plan from them. You can either unlock your phone yourself and use a prepaid sim, buy AT&T's International Roaming Plan (which is still outrageous), or leave the iPhone at home and buy a throw away phone once in country. Beware if you do not know what functions to turn off if you decide to take the iPhone with you. The iPhone constantly updates data and you will be charged up the ying yang. Read more about it at this link: AT&T International Roaming With iPhone. Have a great trip Italy is beautiful. Mark

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You'll get the most out of it and save a ton of money if you jailbreak and unlock it and then buy prepaid SIM's in the countries you visit. You can restore it when you get back if you don't want it to remain jailbroken/unlocked.

SkyyBoy

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Hawaii
I got the 50mb iPhone international roaming plan for my last 2 week trip to Europe.
Worked great for frequent google maps use & occasional email. Everything else (uploading pictures to Flickr) I did when I could find free WiFi.
I turned on unconditional forwarding, so ALL incoming calls went straight to voicemail (no roaming charge!). To enable, do the following:
# On your phone, dial *#62# and click Send.
# Phone number will be displayed.
# Write down the number (including +1)
# Dial **21*+1xxxyyyzzzz*11# and hit Send. +1xxxyyyzzzz is the number you wrote down previously
# Dial *#21# to verify that the new settings are active.
# When no longer desired, dial ##002# to reset back to normal.

enjoy!

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
I just got back from Italy a couple of weeks ago and just used international calling cards from my hotel phone. I had two - one of them was 5 euro for 200 minutes which would cost a fortune on your celly.

NickT916

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
You'll get the most out of it and save a ton of money if you jailbreak and unlock it and then buy prepaid SIM's in the countries you visit. You can restore it when you get back if you don't want it to remain jailbroken/unlocked.
i was thinking about jailbreak and unlock after MMS starts working, to know for sure that i will not need to update to 3.0.1 to make mms functional.. i know how to make mms work , BUT att by passes the function and pictures don't send, so 3.0.1 might not be needed .. anyways, but just wondering if you know... do prepaid sims sell there for MB usage? you know if they have unlimited or do they only have per MB and do you know the prices by any chance? surely is much cheaper than ATT ripping off people prices?

Jul 9, 2009
airplane mode unless you want extra charges or godknows how much ( usage and time wise )

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
I can understand needing to let loved ones know you're alright (which is why I suggest the calling card). I could also understand wanting cell service if you're there for a long period of time (1+ month). But you're in Italy for god sakes, take this opportunity to forget the cellphone. That's what I used it for and feeling disconnected has never felt so good.

P.S. People can wait to see the pictures.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
You can get the $5.99 World Travel for AT&T. It is .99 cents a minute for calling, and .50 cents each text message. You can receive text messages for free, however.

SkyyBoy

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Hawaii
I can understand needing to let loved ones know you're alright (which is why I suggest the calling card). I could also understand wanting cell service if you're there for a long period of time (1+ month). But you're in Italy for god sakes, take this opportunity to forget the cellphone. That's what I used it for and feeling disconnected has never felt so good.

P.S. People can wait to see the pictures.
I agree with the above, however Google Maps on the iPhone keeps you from looking like a complete tourist while getting around. With the GPS, it's even better than a map. It has been invaluable for me during international travels...

bikerboy

Bronze
Jun 20, 2009
Ohio, USA
Unlocked and Jailbreak today :D and i think it's 1 of the best things i did to my iPhone :d

Nov 18, 2009
Unlocked and Jailbreak today :D and i think it's 1 of the best things i did to my iPhone :d
Not everyone is ready to unlock and jailbreak. If you still want to use your iPhone to the full while you are overseas - rent iPhone for your destination. One of my friends rented iPhone for his europe trip and he says it is totally another level of travel experience. He was sending pictures in real time, updated his twitter and blog, even found several dates through facebook while traveling.

permesso

Oct 25, 2007
Unlock and use VodaFone

I was just in Italy with family in Sept and went through this exact question. We had 4 iPhones in our group - two 3Gs, one 3G and one 2G. We unlocked all of them before we went.

My suggestion is to unlock and get a VodaFone Pre-paid SIM. You have to go into a VodaFone store and either hope they speak English well or have someone that speaks Italian. You can buy a SIM for 10 euro (with 5 euro credit on it I believe). Then you call a number to activate the special iPhone data plan with is 3 euro a week which gets you 500MB of data. Details are here:

http://prepaid-wireless-internet-access.wetpaint.com/page/Italy+Vodafone

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find anyway to get the menus to switch to english so activation was a challenge.

We were running 3.0.1 at the time and we able to use the tethering easily too. We also used Skype and TruPhone to make cheap calls. I bought the app Unrestrictor (jailbreak needed) so I was able to make these VOIP calls via 3G. We also used the free text msg apps to communicate with people at home.

Overall, this was an awesome situation. Full iPhone use for 3 euros/week. It was worth it for maps alone. If you need a ton of data for tethering or something, look to Wind instead of Vodafone - they have a 5GB plan for 30 euro I believe. Vodafone's coverage is way better though.

Let me know if you have any further questions. Enjoy Italy.

permesso

Oct 25, 2007
One other note - as mentioned in the linked info above, there is a different APN when you use the vodafone iPhone plan. You will need to find a way to change the APN. For example,

http://www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/

Not sure if that works on the current OS version though.

R

rottenapple

go buy pay as u go hahaha because in italy u gotta watch your pockets 24/7