Going to sell my iPhone if they don't offer an eBook reader

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

dotcom

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
you all don't get a book reader out soon. i have had windows mobile phones for years and when the iPhone came out i was one of the early adopters. i love the iPhone however it has one big issue. i have over 200 ebooks that i have purchased in the past and i travel around a lot and would read a book on my windows phone whenever i was waiting for a plane etc. well i figured i could find another way to satisfy that need but i was wrong. i need my ebooks and now that the touch is out i may have to get one of those or something similar that will allow me to cary my books on my phone once again. i was hoping that someone would come up with a solution but they have not, sure you can go to the websites that allow you to read txt files etc. but there is no way to bookmark your place and if you are on a plane where you have no connection well....... no book, you can email yourself a pdf version of the book but it has the same problem, no way to get back to where you were once you stop reading. so i hope Apple reads this and takes it seriously as i know others have the same problems/issues i have. get a book reader on the phone that can bookmark your place, and do it quick! there is competition out there now and i may have to move on.

btw i don't just have an iPhone i have 2 macs and a 4 ipods so i am a big fan of Apple.

vert

Dec 15, 2007
well there is a solution to this, in fact theres more than one, of course you would need to jailbreak your phone like many of us have, its a small risks but the possibilities are unlimited for applications as well as other programs. for instance on a jailbroken iPhone, we have an application that will install any program that is in its source list, so a huge list of apps ready to run on the iPhone, and one of them is an ebook reader, so you might consider jailbreaking your phone, so look into it.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Wow, sell the iPhone because you can't read books on it? Harsh.

I prefer the ancient type. You know, the kind that's made with paper.

- John

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I had eReader on my Treo. Reading books one tiny screen after another tiny screen got very tiring. I agree with John. Paper books are still the way to go. I tried to read a couple of books on TextoniPhone.com (which strangely doesn't connect today), but it's just not the same thing.

dotcom

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
Thank you all for the advice, as the book app appears to only support txt and HTML do any of you know a tool that I can run on my mac that will allow me to convert a PDF, lit, or one of the other common ebook formats into a txt or HTML file? I guess that I have just been a little anoyed lately as I realize that my 600.00 iPhone can't do a lot of the things my older wm5 phone could do. It is a cool phone but once you get out of range of AT&T you are basicly stuck with a fancy iPod.

Scottshotz

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
Thank you all for the advice, as the book app appears to only support txt and HTML do any of you know a tool that I can run on my mac that will allow me to convert a PDF, lit, or one of the other common ebook formats into a txt or HTML file? I guess that I have just been a little anoyed lately as I realize that my 600.00 iPhone can't do a lot of the things my older wm5 phone could do. It is a cool phone but once you get out of range of AT&T you are basicly stuck with a fancy iPod.
that's why ya gotta research. I'm so tired of people saying what SHOULD be on the phone. Guess what they NEVER said they would make half the stuff you guys say the phone needs. Fine it won't cure cancer, and wanting it too won't put the feature in the next update. Research something next time you invest. don't shoot first and preach about what you shouldve got. I think I'm the one person one here who is happy with my purchase cause I knew exactly what I was getting. I bought cause I liked the phone the way it is, not because I'll make a wishlist of features it dosent have and wait for it to be in a update. Jesus didn't make this phone. Apple did, so stop demanding perfection!
Note* this is not directed at any one person. I'm issuing all the complaint threads I've read over the past few months.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Jesus didn't make this phone. Apple did, so stop demanding perfection!

Wait a minute... All those Apple ads on TV promised me perfection if I would switch from a PC... Isn't Apple supposed to be the Holy Grail?

All kidding aside, I quite frankly am surprised at some of the omissions in the iPhone that you would not generally see in a review but would expect to find on the phone based on what the vast majority have. For example: A search feature. There's no way (that I can find) to search your contact list - which came as a surprise. Yes, I know you can scroll, but sometimes I need to find everyone who lives in a given state, or who works for a given company - basic functionality that all PalmOS and WM phones have -- and even some non-smartphones now -- that you figure any modern smartphone would now have.

I'm not complaining, mind you. I figure that updates or the SDK will yield solutions to most of the minor quibbles I have with the iPhone - but come one - cool multitouch technology and no search function? With a company as forward thinking as Apple apparently is, it's surprising that they miss the little basics. Or, in other words, I had such respect for their design prowess that anything they miss is a shock.

Of course, I had that preconceived notion *before* I installed iTunes. :)

RooV

Dec 28, 2007
just send an email to yourself with a ebook in .pdf format.
iPhone opens pdf's from emails.
only minus is that you cant read in landscape mode.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
if you sell the iPhone, then Apple still sold it to you and you still sold it to someone, Apple got their money so i don't think that they care if you sell it...

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
hello sir, i see you are intreaged with my previous literature vices but please note some terms are only used when applicable now good day to your sir
It's spelled 'intrigued', and I'm not intrigued. Just curious as to why you would call your eccentric speech 'literature vices'. But, whatever floats your boat. Good day, Sir. LOL:cool: