going to watch the space shuttle take off...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
i just hope this one does well.

NASA kindof scares me with their failures :eek:
Don't forget the successes as well. I remember the first American spacewalk and the first lunar landing. Even though the first lunar landing was fraught with problems, it was still awesome. I'm still amazed that the lunar module had skin about the thickness of two layers of aluminum foil...

And think about Spirit and Opportunity, exploring Mars after three years, far beyond their expected lifetimes.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
Don't forget the successes as well. I remember the first American spacewalk and the first lunar landing. Even though the first lunar landing was fraught with problems, it was still awesome. I'm still amazed that the lunar module had skin about the thickness of two layers of aluminum foil...

And think about Spirit and Opportunity, exploring Mars after three years, far beyond their expected lifetimes.
yeah i definitely think that the advancements have overcome the casualties but still.. i'd be scared to be an astronaut.

actaully, now that im really thinking about it, i would go into space with the chance of blowing up. i mean really, any death in space coudln't be that terrible. if you blow up, that's almost instant. suffocate, that's only a few breaths..(i sound morbid o.o; )

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
nope everything went perfect, it was real cool watching it from my apartment though.
Not to pry, but where do you live? (you do not have to answer if you think I am crazy). I live in Rockledge and my office is in Port Canaveral. We had a pretty good view there! It is cool how the rumbling doesn't come until the Shuttle is very high since the speed of sound is so much slower. The sound actually rumbles the building.

What was also cool was that the last time the shuttle came in from CA on the back of the plane it flew right over my office when I got to work! It was very low since it was close to landing. It was awesome. I think it may have been cooler to see than the launch.