Golf skycaddie for iPhone

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
can you give an ETA? is the app already submitted to Apple?

gijohn

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
No activity here for 10 days. I went out to their website (almost 10 days ago) and requested 2 golf courses. Nothing yet.

And no new news on their site.

rttaylor

Jul 16, 2008
We are expecting the application to launch on the app store by the end of this week (and yes we have already submitted it). Thanks for keeping interested.

We have had a lot of publicity going through lately, and with such, our course request list has blown up in a huge way.

However, we are dedicated to getting your courses added as quickly as possible, and to enabling our users to do the same with our centralized database, so that once one user adds a course, all users can take advantage of it without downloading or updating their apps.

Once the tool opens up, or the app is launched on the app store we will send an email to all of our subscribed users to notify them, so if you want to stay on top of this and other announcements, feel free to sign up on our website.

Thanks,

Rob
Golf Mapz, LLC
iPhone Golf GPS

twallyf

Bronze
Oct 20, 2007
Its in the app store today! Anybody get it yet?

jimwarden

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Damp! Wouldn't that be nice.

That's almost enough reason to get the 3g iPhone. I wish you could disable the 3g radio and pay the v1 data rate. Still not worth $1800 more over five years.

Still v1. Jim

dhy8386

Aug 13, 2008
Greenfinder for iPhone

Greenfinder was just released for the iPhone in the Appstore. It is also a GPS rangefinder (previously available for the BB). It measures to front, center, and back of greens and to hazards as well. Real time downloading of as many courses as you want. doesn't seem to have nearly as many at vCaddy but looks like the interface is better (for now) - however its 34 bucks. Be curious if anyone is looking at it and how it compares to vCaddy.

dhy8386

Aug 13, 2008

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
Greenfinder was just released for the iPhone in the Appstore. It is also a GPS rangefinder (previously available for the BB). It measures to front, center, and back of greens and to hazards as well. Real time downloading of as many courses as you want. doesn't seem to have nearly as many at vCaddy but looks like the interface is better (for now) - however its 34 bucks. Be curious if anyone is looking at it and how it compares to vCaddy.
It looks good. I did see a review stating that there is a $35 per year charge? Not good. :(

dhy8386

Aug 13, 2008
According to their page here http://www.itinerantsoftware.com/products/purchase
It's a yearly subscription of $35. It might be worth it compared to the upfront cost of the Sky Caddy?
My man. if you look closely, those are only for the BBs. For the iPhone, because Apple does not have subscription pricing, its a one time cost. If its accurate (yet to be determined), it will be a great alternative to Skycaddy

Break80

Aug 13, 2008
is it here yet?

The app is done, and we are just waiting on Apple at this point.

You can now access our website to request that your favorite courses get added, and we will be working to add requested courses up until the approval finalizes and the app gets added to the app store.

After looking at our currently available courses ( http://www.golfmapz.com at the bottom left, where you select the state your course is in) you can use the following form to request that your course gets "gps enabled".

http://www.golfmapz.com/iphone-golf-course-request.php

We are trying to push our requests within 24-48 hours of being requested.

Also, you can sign up for our upcoming "members" area, and for updates regarding the application launch, at the following link:

http://www.golfmapz.com/signup.php

Feel free to leave suggestions and comments. As we have a working version of the app ready for launch, we are working in the meantime to add extra toolbox features to make the app even better for the initial launch.
Waiting on Apple? What are you waiting on? Are there screen shots available? I hear lots of promises, and see nothing but a very basic website...ugh...more false promises and hype?

dhy8386

Aug 13, 2008
App is out and in App store. Its called vCaddy.

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
that game doesn't sound fun for iPhone. AT ALL. no offense haha

pawheel

Jul 24, 2008
Which one is better? Vcaddy or Greenfinder? Any reviews?

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
Thanks so much for the great review, @dhy8386. I am planning to purchase GreenFinder as soon as they add my home course. Regarding battery life, I noticed that you turned off the 3G. So how does that work? Do you depend on EDGE?

Again thanks for your review.

Last edited by a moderator:

dhy8386

Aug 13, 2008
Thanks so much for the great review, @dhy8386. I am planning to purchase GreenFinder as soon as they add my home course. Regarding battery life, I noticed that you turned off the 3G. So how does that work? Do you depend on EDGE?

Again thanks for your review.
Both apps will download your course so that you do not need the cell networks (theoretically) to refresh the maps (you would just be using the GPS). I did not test this however to make sure performance is not impacted. I also do not know if you accidentally exit the application, is the course still downloaded or do you need to reconnect to access it. Im playing again this weekend so I will test that out and report. One note, given how quickly ~20 seconds the app takes to "refind" the GPS signal, you could probably extend the battery life a lot by auto locking your phone manually when you do not need the GPS (say after you measure for a par 3 from the tee). I may also try this and see how it affects performance.

Last edited by a moderator: