Good Idea to have iPhone always on

rpj795

Aug 1, 2007
I have downloaded a clock app that I have been using as my clock when I sleep. I keep it in the docking station (charging) all night w/ it on, meaning that it never goes to sleep.
I wanted to get your guys advise if it will hurt my phone to stay on all night and in the docking station.

thanks

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
From what i heard, and from past experience, it seems i have less crashes and snappier transitions when i completely turn off the phone at night occasionally. Im thinking if you turn it off maybe once a week you shouldnt have any performance problems.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I think he means leaving the touch screen illuminated all night while it's in the dock.

rpj795

Aug 1, 2007
correct, leaving the screen on all night in the docking station.

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Well over time, you could start seeing dead pixels because they physically aren't turning off, or cooling down.

I suggest you buy a proper bedside clock instead of using a $300 one.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Well over time, you could start seeing dead pixels because they physically aren't turning off, or cooling down.
Exactly right. Why does the screen have to be on anyway? The alarm should still function as long as the phone is in sleep mode.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I wouldn't worry about burnt out pixels, that will not be an issue at all. In fact leaving on as a nightlight shouldn't hurt it either. It will put some extra time on the Backlight, however this should easily last the two years + that you would likely own the current gen iPhone. I have 5 year old LCD displays that are always on with animated screen savers that have no issues at all, not even any dead pixels. I can't imagine the touch screens lasting 5 years on these phones. Cell phones are truly only supposed to last a couple years. Most people upgrade every two years.