Good PC tune-up software?

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
What are the specifications of your computer? To be honest with you, I never found any "tune-up" application to actually work. All they do is disable some animations enabled on Windows by default, delete duplicate files, old files, etc. but there's no actual "speeding up" process. If you know how to maintain Windows, you'll never need such a useless application. As for one I use, it's called TuneUp Utilities. It is not, however, freeware, but it is the best one I've used so far. It doesn't speed anything up, but it cleans and modifies systems. As for Mac, there's one called CleanMyMac that does the exact same thing.

I use AVG-Free as well as TuneUp Utilities, and I haven't faced any problems till now.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Tuneup programs suck. People's computers vary way too much for a one-size-fits-all program to do much good when it comes to really speeding up a computer. And ESPECIALLY stay away from anything mentioning "registry" cleaning or optimization. That's asking for trouble.

The best advice I can give is to run "msconfig" and Google each startup item. Then disable everything except windows-related software and security software (which, by the way, you should only have one of).

If you want, you could even post a screencap of the msconfig window here.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I'm with acosmichippo, msconfig is a good way to speed up your machine. You can disable all things like msn messenger, which launch/start when you boot your computer. They run in the background and slow the computer i.e through using the RAM and CPU. As hippo said, be careful turning off/disabling features you are unsure of. And stay away from registry applications and software, seriously.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You could have deleted the 110 GB of media without TuneUp Utilities, though. If that really did have an effect on performance, your HD you must have been nearly full. I don't think the Microsoft animations are huge system memory hogs. What type of specs does this computer have?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
It would also probably behoove you to do another disk defragment after deleting all that stuff.

And for what it's worth, if all this program did was disable some animations, there's probably a lot more you can still do to optimize your system.

Oct 2, 2009
New Jersey
www.abelgancsos.com
1-defrag only reorganizes the system files and does speed up the computer, but not enough to notice
2-be careful of these types of software because most of them end up being maleware.
3-tweak your computer

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzHgJowcvnM[/media]

4-if you have norton, replace it with avg or avast
5-make sure you have enough memory (at least 2 gigs)
6-what type of processor do you have? is it a p4 or core 2 duo?
7-vista or windows 7 or xp?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
1- after deleting 100GB of data, he probably has files fragmented all over his drive. by defragging now, it will lead to less fragmentation later.
2- maleware rocks
3- "tweak your computer" ...whatever that means.
4- Norton 2010 and 2011 are great, and MUCH better than avg or avast

Oct 2, 2009
New Jersey
www.abelgancsos.com
1- after deleting 100GB of data, he probably has files fragmented all over his drive. by defragging now, it will lead to less fragmentation later.
2- maleware rocks
3- "tweak your computer" ...whatever that means.
4- Norton 2010 and 2011 are great, and MUCH better than avg or avast
that was a joke, right?
that's a good point...
really? what processor do you have? do you know if they changed the scanning process? they probably didn't. my biggest issue with norton is that everything has to run through it before executing. this causes a delay in the execution, but burns up short term memory because even though the program didn't open, norton is still running full speed, eating up the RAM. that being said, if he has anything lower than a core duo or core 2 duo, his computer will end up crashing.
a tweak is considered whenever you change something to the system configuration. for example, boot up programs and also the features that run, once you are logged in.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
1-defrag only reorganizes the system files and does speed up the computer, but not enough to notice
2-be careful of these types of software because most of them end up being maleware.
3-tweak your computer

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzHgJowcvnM[/media]

4-if you have norton, replace it with avg or avast
5-make sure you have enough memory (at least 2 gigs)
6-what type of processor do you have? is it a p4 or core 2 duo?
7-vista or windows 7 or xp?
Sorry, but most of that is quite amateur and misleading advice.

1. Your statement on defrag is just plain wrong.
2. Which types of software? Malware Bytes is one of those recommended above and it is not malware. And you may want to learn to spell the word.
3. That's a very limited bit of tweak advice for Vista. And go back to XP is one of your options - seriously?
4. I don't think you can offer that as an across-the-board recommendation. Norton may well be the right solution for some people.

I'd be curious to know what your qualifications are for offering advice and videos on topics like this.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I've installed norton 2011 on a wide variety of systems, and haven't experienced any more problems caused by it than any other security software. The whole point of good security software is to keep an eye on other programs while they are running. Norton is not the only program to do this, and yes, of course it does take up a bit of processor time and memory. But in my experience, it is very transparent - even on slightly older hardware. If your last experience with Norton was its 2006-era products, I suggest you take another look at them.

And telling someone to "tweak their computer" would be like telling someone with a flat tire to "fix their car".

Oct 2, 2009
New Jersey
www.abelgancsos.com

2. Which types of software? Malware Bytes is one of those recommended above and it is not malware. And you may want to learn to spell the word.
3. That's a very limited bit of tweak advice for Vista. And go back to XP is one of your options - seriously?
4. I don't think you can offer that as an across-the-board recommendation. Norton may well be the right solution for some people.

I'd be curious to know what your qualifications are for offering advice and videos on topics like this.
1-really? so when you defrag you can notice a speed up? highly unlikely
2-you misunderstood me. i'm a malewarebytes fan, what i was refering to is the fact that a lot of those tune up programs cause those malware software which need to be removed with malwarebytes
3-yes
4-agreed! i'm not saying they need to choose the anti-virus programs i advised, but what i am saying a possible crashing if you are on older machines

don't just flat out say that i'm wrong or i don't know my stuff (y)
especially if you misunderstood my point....

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD

Thank you. I really wanted to reply, but I'm ascerbic enough here as it is. :D