Good reason to upgrade to 3G?

fastfox

Jul 19, 2008
Basically it boils down to this, I can easily sell my old 8gb iPhone for $350 which is the what it will cost me to get a new 16gb 3G model including taxes and $18 upgrade fee. So the cost of the phone is a wash. All I would really be paying more than I do now is $15 a month which would be for faster speeds and an additional 8gb. In addition, I can recoup $350 of value from my old iPhone now while if I wait until the next gen iPhone I might get little to nothing for my original. On the other hand if I upgrade now I will be able to get significantly more money back when I sell my 16gb 3G a year from now when the new iPhone 3.0 comes out. Seems like an easy choice to make unless I'm missing something. Any thoughts?

Jul 14, 2008
Sounds good to me. I sold my 16GB to a friend for $280 and have two 8GB i will probably be selling soon as well. I would go ahead and sell yours and get a 3G whenever you can.

Just be aware that 3G service will likely not be available everywhere you are. I can't get it in throughout my house unless I am on the top floor.

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
Just be aware that 3G service will likely not be available everywhere you are. I can't get it in throughout my house unless I am on the top floor.
No $h!t. I live in a 0 bars 3G area. I have to turn on Edge just got get full bars.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
On the other hand if I upgrade now I will be able to get significantly more money back when I sell my 16gb 3G a year from now when the new iPhone 3.0 comes out. Seems like an easy choice to make unless I'm missing something. Any thoughts?
Remember this also. If you get 3G now, you very likely won't be eligible for an upgrade when V3 comes out. Since V2 is a subsidized phone, we are probably now under the same rules as other subsidized phones. This means you will have to pay a higher price for V3 or have to wait until you are eligible for an upgrade. You might want to consider this if 3G isn't that big a deal for you.

Jul 19, 2008
I just got a 3g last Monday, and I love it even more than my v1 I had up until 3 months ago, I had just become upgrade eligible 2 days before the 3g came out, and now after activating the 3g, my account says I am eligible for an upgrade on 7-15-09, so only a year until I can upgrade, I don't know if that's the norm for everyone, or maybe because I've been with AT&T for 7 years, but I'm hoping the new iPhone 3 comes out after or around that date!
Regardless, I am loving the 3g speed in my area, Sarasota Florida, I am gettng around 1.7 Mbps on 3g on average, maybe because 3g is new in my town and not too many people on it yet.

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
Remember this also. If you get 3G now, you very likely won't be eligible for an upgrade when V3 comes out. Since V2 is a subsidized phone, we are probably now under the same rules as other subsidized phones. This means you will have to pay a higher price for V3 or have to wait until you are eligible for an upgrade. You might want to consider this if 3G isn't that big a deal for you.

wouldn't this only be true if the V3 comes out in less than a year?

I doubt it would be out, say this christmas.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
wouldn't this only be true if the V3 comes out in less than a year?

I doubt it would be out, say this christmas.
Well, based on the post above yours I am not sure now. It used to be you had to be 18 mo. into your contract before you were eligible for an upgrade. But now I don't know what the deal is. If it has been downgraded to a year, this is great.

fastfox

Jul 19, 2008
You make a valid point but it seems that AT&T is actively encouraging current iPhone users to upgrade as we are likely already in their target demographic. I have only been with AT&T for 8 months and they are already offering me a subsidized v2. From this precedent it would appear that a year from now AT&T would likely offer a similar subsidy to current v2 users to upgrade to v3. Just imagine the technological competition the v3 iPhone will be in a year from now, I think it would worth it for AT&T to continue to offer a subsidized phone to retain a customer.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I have only been with AT&T for 8 months and they are already offering me a subsidized v2. From this precedent it would appear that a year from now AT&T would likely offer a similar subsidy to current v2 users to upgrade to v3.
You are the second one to say you are eligible in a short time frame. So I guess either things have changed or you make a valid point or both.
What you say certainly makes sense, but ATT doesn't always make sense. I hope your point is on target and current V2 owners get the subsidized price. It might even get me to go and get the 3G phone.