Goodbye Jailbreak, I'll Mostly Miss You

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by Kadelic, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Well I broke down and restored my 4S as new this morning. I'd been having some stability issues but was clinging to my jailbreak for dear life despite the mounting headaches. I was was still on 5.0.1 and enjoying a very dialed in experience when trouble started creeping in a couple months ago. It's hard to put my finger on exactly when and what started the downward spiral. It was little things at first but they gradually mounted to the point that my device just couldn't be counted on anymore.

I'd been having random springboard crashes and unusually long reboots and hard resets for a while. There were a number of other bugs and glitches, using Siri to send a text would cause a crash, for instance. Crash Reporter was often consulted but never did divulge a culprit. The final straw was when I was taking video of my 8 year old niece playing her violin for a packed house of aunts, uncles, and cousins on Christmas Eve. The video started fine but when I tried to stop and restart between pieces the camera app became completely unresponsive and finally froze and then crashed completely. I ended up with only one 45 second segment. Then on Christmas Day I met with similar results as I was trying to capture live snowball fight footage. This time the crash left me with zero footage. My tried and true Lifeproof case was up to task though, that's for sure.

So here I am killing time while all my media is syncing back to a clean 64GB slate of stock iPhone 4S. It is interesting to note that with the same music and roughly the same apps synced to the device the status bar in iTunes says I'll have about 12GB of free space as opposed to the 3GB free I had before I restored. This was easily my longest stint staying jailbroken on a given version of iOS. I wish I'd updated to 5.1 when I had the window but I just felt so comfortable where I was. I did try using the new Redsn0w to restore to 5.1 but met many roadblocks. I have learned so much through these processes and from the great members here on this forum so I thought I'd share my little experience and let y'all know I'm back in the same boat with the rest of you waiting for an untethered jailbreak.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I would have done the same thing. I'd rather have a stable stock phone than an unstable jailbroken phone. Plus, now you'll have Panorama and the new Google maps app. I miss Bite, customization and toggles, but it's not so bad being stock. Mostly.

image.jpg

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Kadelic Suck it up, buttercup. :D

4. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Ok Europa I give up. What does Newt have to do with this?

Consider it done. :)

Sent using iCafe app

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Mostly.

6. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I also miss the jailbreak, but each and every new update/iPhone also pick p some of the tweaks. I miss it, but not as much as I used to.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's a reference to the movie Aliens since you used the word "mostly" in your thread title. Newt said, "They mostly come out at night, mostly."

8. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Ah, gotcha.