Google at Macworld today

Mactech

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
I have been to my share of Macworlds.
I have to admit that the Google area was or is the best.
it was packed.

What is really cool is the 1800 Google 411
you can call it all day for free Information then at the end you can say map it.
You will receive an sms with the number and link as well as other info. It's the link you are looking for.

I tested it and then used the gps funtion after it mapped the location.
then it located me and gave me directions to the mapped location.
Totally cool and very usefull then you can call the number from the SMS by just tapping the number.

All in all it was ok, all I know is that once the SDK is released there will be some really slick stuff developed for the iPhone.

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
thanks for the information Might come in handy when I go travel to nc next weekend

tyoung

Bronze
Nov 1, 2007
So Cal
I am really looking forward to what comes out when the SDK is released. I just hope they aren't an arm and a leg to buy.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I am really looking forward to what comes out when the SDK is released. I just hope they aren't an arm and a leg to buy.

That is way cool. I already knew from months ago about the google 411 number and is in my phone favs.......but.....the link info is great news, I did not know that so I will start useing that.

almarlimjr

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
Dumb question but I'm sure some of you will get a kick from me asking but.... What's SDK?

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Dumb question but I'm sure some of you will get a kick from me asking but.... What's SDK?

The SDK will be released in Feb so that 3rd party app developers can legally create the apps for the iPhone without jailbreaking.

almarlimjr

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
OIC. Never knew we were going to be able to do that. Sweet. Thanks for the info. Can't wait for the SDK!:laugh2:

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Seems like Microsoft's Mobile Live Search on WM phones is still light years ahead.

Just open the app, click a button, say "Outback Restaurant near Oakland" and up pops a list you can view, call, put as contact, or map or get directions to.

Very handy. Very impressive. No typing or getting a text message.

They keep saying they're going to open the API for it, but I bet now they don't want other phone OS's to have access.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
wow. this is really cool. i hadn't seen something like this that complemented the iPhone in a while and i'm pretty amazed.

i know that you could do all of this through google or googlemaps but i think it is much quicker to make a call and get a text message with all the information i could need.

this is awesome.